Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: P.S. Wingfield Castle

Time Online
    1 Week 3 Days 19 Hours 27 Minutes 8 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    11 Hours 27 Minutes 54 Seconds

P.S. Wingfield Castle

Step back in time when you step on board this restored paddle steamer, a former passenger ferry launched in 1934 was built in Hartlepool by William Gray & Co. She is the largest exhibit at the Museum of Hartlepool and admission is free.
    You can tour the ship including the bridge and the boiler room. Coffee shop onboard too. Please check for opening times.
    http://www.hartlepoolsmaritimeexperi...ngfield+Castle

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Re: P.S. Wingfield Castle

Travelled up to Hartlepool yesterday to see the developement of the Quay and the exhibits. My last visit was some years ago, not long after it opened and the Trincomalee was under restoration. We were pleased to see this is now more or less completed and the ship has been restored in an excellent state.
    However afterwards going around the corner to see Wingfield Castle, was quite shocked at it's appearance and condition, something must be done to bring her back to her former glory, otherwise I fear she will suffer the same fate as the Lincoln Castle. As a still serving Chief Engineer on large LNG vessels, I have always enjoyed old vessels which remind me of my early career and ship-yard days in 1960's to early 70's.
    During the visit and having a good look around, can see it will take a lot of money to do the job and wonder if any plans are in place?

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Did you take any photos of the Wingfield Castle while you was there

When Britain was workshop to the world!
    Grimsby Tide Times

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

This is not good news and when the Lincoln Castle was being demolished I began expressing concerns about the future of the Wingfield Castle given the situation whereby Museum fundings have been slashed and there exists the very real chance that it may be decided this may be surplus to requirements, costing too much to preserve. The news of it's current condition is not at all encouraging.

Time Online
    1 Day 1 Hour 35 Minutes 14 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hour 7 Minutes 50 Seconds

A lot of money was spent on her about 5 years ago and more that Hartlepool can really afford. Ships need constant maintenance unfortunately

My last photos were from 2009, shortly after the work

http://www.paddlesteamers.info/Thumb...tle%202009.htm

Hartlepool are very committed to the ship which is good news - but if things do get too much, it will be virtually impossible (and prohibitively expensive) to move her elsewhere

One of the main changes on the ship was to create space in the lower deck to hire out for organisations to have meetings etc with the lower deck access now controlled by combination locked doorways. It generates some, but I guess not too much revenue

Regrettably there is not much to see aboard, but the cafeteria is fine. The only problem is the lack of visitor numbers which means that that is more of a service than a cash generator

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Nice update. Sadly, local 'authorities' are seldom best equipped in relevant outlook when it comes to developing and promoting 'museum' vessels. They are STILL not museums, per se, even though they've 'come ashore'. You can't promote the use of a telescope by keeping it in good order and telling people it's a museum piece. Same goes for 'ships'.

Have the people responsible in Hartlepool approached any of us with our real hats on?? Maybe we should email them a few ideas? At no cost to them, of course...

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Well, Hartlepool was developing as a centre of skills, when they refurbished first HSS Warrior, then Trincomalee/Foudroyant (the oldest Royal navy ship afloat) then Wingfield castle, so there is no shortage of skills. There is a problem with money as there will always be, but I am sure that free labour coming up from Humberside to work on an agreed renovation plan would be of interest to Hartlepool Council - but that would be for you to offer your services to them

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

It's a tough one. WC will never be a particularly nice ship to be on. The Hartlepool marina area has never really taken off as hoped - especially with the closure of Jackson's landing Outlet "Mall" but there is still quite a lot there as well as the paid-for Historic Quay and the excellent free civic museum to which WC is attached.

The problem is that there is (or maybe now was) a tug being used as a small floating restaurant, which didn't open much and last I heard was up for sale. Also, there is a pub right next door, a Brewer's Fayre two minutes walk away, a KFC, a McDonalds and I think a bingo place. Hartlepool is a pretty dull town so I doubt there is room for more. Hartlepool were so keen on her as the last link to Gray's shipyard, where the Historic Quay is now built. There there is an ownership company and a separate Friends Group for HMS Trincomalee which raises funds separately. Trincomalee is by a million miles the more "attractive" ship, so I guess anyone local will support it as a preference. The only outside patronage I see would be directly through PSPS

Edit - Found details of the tug. It is still on the agent's sales list so that means no buyers in a few years

http://www.sidneyphillips.co.uk/full....php?prn=32158

I remember in 2008/09 TS Queen Mary - in one of the top prime locations in the country - could not be sold in the trade when Mitchells & Butlers decided to dispose of her

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Only took one photo as the weather was closing in and was feeling a little depressed at the sight of her Attachment 524
    Taken from the dock gate, would suggest you zoom in to view.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

P.S. Wingfield Castle Originally Posted by pebe52 P.S. Wingfield Castle
    Only took one photo as the weather was closing in and was feeling a little depressed at the sight of herAttachment 524
    Taken from the dock gate, would suggest you zoom in to view.
    Thanks for the photo at least she hasn't been altered from when she was sailing not like the Tattershall Castle she was always my favorite ferry when all three off them was sailing

Grimsby Tide Times

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

No offence to involved CRAFTSMEN intended. Overtures were made to 'management'... to no avail -- or even response worth a jot.

Sorry chaps, this got misplaced owing a break in connexion delaying it by a couple of places -- it was in response to a question about offering services to the vessel's management by Tramscape "...but I am sure that free labour coming up from Humberside to work on an agreed renovation plan would be of interest to Hartlepool Council - but that would be for you to offer your services to them..."
    Last edited by A.N.Other; 10-13-2013 at 14:21. Reason: delayed position

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Its a shame the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society don't take more of an interest or lead in the Preservation of other remaining Paddle Steamers.

Given the ship is now trapped in the Marina one wonders how future dry dockings can be carried out . . . .
    Last edited by channel; 10-22-2014 at 11:09.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

No problem there Chris - dry dock alongside at the Historic Dockyard at the Marina, where Trincomalee is moored

IIRC she has been in there for work from time to time

It is difficult for PSPS to get involved with other ships - eg one owned by Hartlepool Council without just being expected to be the cash cow ....... and of course PSPS don't have much money, except for legacies and donations by members for the individual ships

I should add however, that HMS Trincomalee has it's own "Friends" support group with its own website etc which fundraises for it. That has never happened for WC !

HMS T has a bit more interest in it anyway as the oldest British warship afloat
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-22-2014 at 11:34.

Time Online
    21 Minutes 5 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    55 Seconds
    Wingfield Castle in Hartlepool. Unfortunately now closed and because of dilapidation may not ever open again. The Council have yet to decide on its future.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    Is the cafe now shut as well?

I had it in my mind that it had still been OK to get there although the rest of the ship was closed off

When I was there in March of last year it was still OK to walk all around her (except the private rooms below) but she was definitely looking in very poor shape

Fortunately I got a lot of photos. Maybe that opportunity will not arise again !

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

P.S. Wingfield Castle Originally Posted by tramscape P.S. Wingfield Castle
    Is the cafe now shut as well?

I had it in my mind that it had still been OK to get there although the rest of the ship was closed off

When I was there in March of last year it was still OK to walk all around her (except the private rooms below) but she was definitely looking in very poor shape

Fortunately I got a lot of photos. Maybe that opportunity will not arise again !

https://www.paddlesteamers.org/natio...gfield-castle/

Grimsby Tide Times

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    Wingfield Castle Update

Hartlepool Borough Council is currently working up a new conservation plan for Wingfield Castle to take her forward. http://kingswearcastle.co.uk/WC.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WC15.jpg‎  

Grimsby Tide Times