Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The world's other sea-going paddler - still no takers

Time Online
    4 Weeks 1 Day 3 Hours 8 Minutes 52 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hour 6 Minutes 11 Seconds

The world's other sea-going paddler - still no takers

PS Decoy - the world's other sea-going paddle steamer - has been up for sale for a long time and the advert has just been changed to - " Reduced !! make an offer !" Not surprising I guess if you have been asking £ 1.2 million

Time Online
    1 Day 15 Hours 29 Minutes 47 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 44 Seconds

Re: The world's other sea-going paddler - still no takers

I think the postage and packaging charges to europe might be prohibitive. The world's other sea-going paddler - still no takers

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Attachment 349

I would say she is well named. Looks as though she is a product Of B&Q

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Cheaper to bring her to Balloch ............... Doubt she would outrun Somali pirates though

Time Online
    2 Minutes 19 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Is FREYA not also a seagoing paddler. She sails on the Baltic from Kiel to Rostock once a year for the Hanse Sail event, sails at least weekly to the Kiel Canal, and aprroximately monthly through the Kiel Canal and up the Elbe to Hamburg. She has a steam engine powering the paddles, but also has screws. You can look through a window in the floor of the saloon and see the steam engine in action, or, normally, not in action
    http://www.adler-schiffe.de/dk/fahrp.../aug-2013.html shows her August sailings and you can easily navigate to other months from there.
    Last edited by Alistaird; 02-26-2013 at 12:33. Reason: spelling errors
    Alistaird, proud to be a member of National Steam Ship Preservation since Jul 2011.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Yes, Alistair, but I always thought of her as more estuarine in her operations, but she does just about dip her toe into the North sea and Baltic sea although her public excursions are generally in protected waters like the Elbe and Kiel canal. Not sure whether she should be called-sea going or not (much the same as Decoy really)

I guess Waverley is unique in that she sometimes heads out into particularly rough seas (even with passengers aboard!)

I can't make my mind up as to whether proclaiming her as the world's last sea-going paddler is a good thing. After all she was never meant to be sea-going and at a pinch other surviving paddlers could venture into coastal waters even if they don't actually do so

My implied point in the tread title though was that WSN/WEL are perhaps taking a bit of liberty with their marketing - and on a personal note, I am a bit horrified that she could be regarded and trumpeted as such !

Gordon

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Just to let everyone know that PS Decoy appears to be under new ownership and coming back into service

Time Online
    3 Hours 11 Minutes 5 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    18 Seconds

In Britain, a ship goes to sea when it goes outside Class IV (or partially smooth) waters, such as the Solent or the Thames estuary as far as Clacton or Herne Bay. The FREYA visits Rostock, amongst other places, but does not carry passengers from Kiel to Rostock; her passenger sailings are all in sheltered waters.

Time Online
    3 Hours 11 Minutes 5 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    18 Seconds

The WAVERLEY was built as a Class III ship allowing excursions up to 18 miles from land. Very few post-war Class III excursion ships were built as the trade started declining soon after the war. I think the only ones were the BRISTOL QUEEN, CARDIFF QUEEN, QUEEN OF THE CHANNEL, ROYAL SOVEREIGN, THORNWICK (later SWANAGE QUEEN) and WAVERLEY. A few ships, including the BRADING, ROYAL IRIS, SHANKLIN and SOUTHSEA were built to that standard but did not actually make use of the capability. Campbells' steamers were almost all built to a higher standard and had Class II(A) certificates: the BRISTOL QUEEN could do cross-channel trips as did the GLEN GOWER.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Waverley's claim is therefore based on the fact that she ventures into Class III waters with passengers aboard

Freya goes to sea but without passengers. I'm not sure that that doesn't make her not sea-going as Alistair has suggested. Will have to have a think about that. Some might question what on earth Waverley is doing "going to sea" .....others might believe that any other paddle steamer would sink if taken outside of a millpond

Most people I guess will accept what they are told and I guess are happy to regard Waverley as the world's only sea-going paddle steamer. However, some journalists (or script editors ??) in their ignorance have printed that she is the world's only paddle steamer - and no doubt many of their readers are happy enough to believe that ! I don't suppose WEL would be on the phone quickly to reprimand the journalist !

Anyway, whatever the definitions, it's good to see Decoy back even if she doesn't venture outside the Swan River
    Last edited by InTramCities; 01-30-2015 at 15:35.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

The world's other sea-going paddler - still no takers Originally Posted by GeoffHamer The world's other sea-going paddler - still no takers
    The WAVERLEY was built as a Class III ship allowing excursions up to 18 miles from land. .
    I didn't know (or at least remember) that !

So, Waverley the only sea-goer in terms of design and build ........... for sure ! (Freya appears to have been built for nothing more strenuous than crossing the mouth of the Schelde and maybe just get a bit of North Sea water lapping up to her gunwhales !)
    Last edited by InTramCities; 01-30-2015 at 15:48.

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

The world's other sea-going paddler - still no takers Originally Posted by tramscape The world's other sea-going paddler - still no takers
    Waverley's claim is therefore based on the fact that she ventures into Class III waters with passengers aboard. Most people I guess will accept what they are told and I guess are happy to regard Waverley as the world's only sea-going paddle steamer. However, some journalists (or script editors ??) in their ignorance have printed that she is the world's only paddle steamer - and no doubt many of their readers are happy enough to believe that ! I don't suppose WEL would be on the phone quickly to reprimand the journalistr
    I guess that any individual or company that wants to do so have had 40 years or so to dispute Waverley's claim. I can't think of any journalist who has described Waverley as the world's only paddle steamer...most certainly such a claim would have taxed The Herald's letters page!!!
    [url]https://www.facebook.com/thecostaclyde?fref=ts[/url]

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

The world's other sea-going paddler - still no takers Originally Posted by Waverleyfan3 The world's other sea-going paddler - still no takers
    I can't think of any journalist who has described Waverley as the world's only paddle steamer...most certainly such a claim would have taxed The Herald's letters page!!!
    Like you said, journalism is not always what it once was - and some young reporter in an area Waverley seldom visits can hardly be expected to know or really care. Like I said, maybe an editor removed what they think might be a superfluous "sea-going" to make the text shorter and snappier !

I am sure I have seen it on one or two of these syndicated reports which appear on internet versions of local news (whether papers or other) from time to time.

You wouldn't credit the number of times people google "paddle steamer Queen Mary". so the niceities are often lost on all except the most swotty.

No, I'm not going to start a campaign to say that Freya is a sea-going paddle steamer ...... even if she does set to sea from time to time !
    Last edited by InTramCities; 01-30-2015 at 18:31.