Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MV Saturn; a new role?

Time Online
    1 Day 2 Hours 42 Minutes 58 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 27 Seconds

MV Saturn; a new role?

On a meander through the interweb I came across a history of the various attempts(including the current one) to provide a ferry between Campbeltown and Northern Ireland. The first attempt was by Western Ferries using the MV Sound of Islay; this was summer only(although irregular freight-only runs were carried out in winter) between 1970 and 1973. The route showed promise but security issues because of the troubles, vessel problems limited growth in usage and Western needing the vessel for their core routes resulted in it being dropped. Then in the '90s there was to be a CalMac service run with a refurbished MV Claymore, but subsidy issues meant that the route was tendered; Sea Containers won it but frankly they seem to have taken the piss, altering the time table without notice, shortening the season(it was summer only as well), then simply dropping the route altogether and using the vessel on a different route elsewhere.

At the end of the essay the author speculates that the route would be viable even without a subsidy(since Sea Containers dropped it there has been a notional £1m per annum subsidy going wanting; in theory available to anyone brave enough to have a go) and observes that the MV Sound of Islay is likely to become available soon as the Canadian operator is building new ships. As there were criticisms of this vessel when she was in service as being too small and too slow it struck me that Saturn would be better suited; she is larger with nearly double the car capacity, 5 times the passenger capacity and somewhat faster. Being about 60% of the displacement of Claymore she would be cheaper to run while carrying nearly the same amount. The main cons being she is old, perhaps needing her machinery replaced sooner rather than later, and her shallow draft(although not nearly as shallow draft as the Sound of Islay) would make her lively in the North Channel; neither of these are dealbreakers.
    Last edited by somewhatfoolish; 08-19-2012 at 01:17.

Time Online
    2 Weeks 4 Days 22 Hours 26 Minutes 46 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    58 Minutes 58 Seconds

Re: MV Saturn; a new role?

We had a debate about Saturn some time ago (must have been on the old forum) and dreamt about improving her superstructure and making her suitable for passenger excursions.

It might be her best hope - but there's no commercial company looking at the market (or existing company looking for a third vessel!). Anything else ? ................. it ain't going to happen

If there was going to be a role for her as a car ferry, I guess she would be in it by now (like Jupiter and Juno) !
    Last edited by tramscape; 08-19-2012 at 18:23.

Time Online
    1 Day 2 Hours 42 Minutes 58 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 27 Seconds

That's remarkably 'can't do' by your standards Tramscape. For reference Western Ferries' Sound of Islay was rated class III; 93 pax with 7 crew, class IIa; 80 pax with 7 crew summer, 35 pax with 7 crew winter. Possibly because of the routes she was deployed on Saturn rated class III; 303 pax with 10 Crew, class IV; 381 pax with 9 Crew, class V; 531 pax with 10 crew. I can't see any fundamental reason why Saturn cannot obtain a class IIa certificate with a reduced passenger compliment and augmented life saving apparatus.

Time Online
    2 Weeks 4 Days 22 Hours 26 Minutes 46 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    58 Minutes 58 Seconds

Yes, I'm rapidly losing my motivation and optimism !

A "big" passenger ship would probably need to have an average of about 500 over a decently long season to make financial sense

I'm rapidly turning to the view that we won't see new organisations coming into play, so for me it's all support to LLSC - and, I guess, WSN, through PSPS once again ........... or just put it towards flights to Geneva !
    Last edited by tramscape; 08-20-2012 at 01:30.