Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Season.

Time Online
    15 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Re: 2012 Season.

2012 Season. Originally Posted by tramscape 2012 Season.
    What are you waiting for?
    Haud me back.........

Time Online
    15 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Arrived in good time for the start of the season. Excellent news. WEL done WEL !
    Arrived JUST in time for the start of the season. There. Sorted that for you. :-)

Time Online
    1 Day 9 Minutes 38 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 22 Seconds

2012 Season. Originally Posted by beltfedboy12 2012 Season.
    Haud me back.........
    Took the words right out of my mouth... 2012 Season.

Time Online
    8 Hours 6 Minutes 59 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Minute 8 Seconds

My card has also arrived.

Time Online
    2 Weeks 3 Days 17 Hours 8 Minutes 7 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

So, we're all happy !
    Last edited by tramscape; 05-30-2012 at 00:51.

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

So, we're all happy !
    Nope... it doesn't say how to get to and from Garlieston by public transport

Time Online
    15 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

So, we're all happy !
    Happy? I remember that. It was July 10, 1978....around 7pm.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

President Moktar Ould Daddah of Mauritania ousted in a bloodless coup ................or John D Rockefeller killed in a car crash ????
    Last edited by tramscape; 05-30-2012 at 11:06.

Time Online
    15 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Much more prosaic. I met an Australian girl who had a profound effect on my life from that point onwards. :-)

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Nice one !

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

If you aren't going on the Oban trip or trips leaving Oban what's the problem? I am going on the trip tomorrow. Sent in my request two weeks ago. Phoned on Monday to state I was going on Friday and received the membership card yesterday.2012 Season.

Time Online
    15 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

2012 Season. Originally Posted by jascarlin 2012 Season.
    If you aren't going on the Oban trip or trips leaving Oban what's the problem? I am going on the trip tomorrow. Sent in my request two weeks ago. Phoned on Monday to state I was going on Friday and received the membership card yesterday.2012 Season.
    The problem is that it took the Waverley office five weeks to send out my card after they'd accepted my money. That's poor service in anyone's book.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Any Blackberry or I-phone connected members like to make their first report of the sailing season to this forum ?

AIS has you rounding Garroch Head as i write
    Last edited by tramscape; 06-01-2012 at 11:36.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Central office have already issued a rousing call to arms today on facebook .......

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

An overcast start to the day. The sky cleared when entering Campbletown and after that it was wonderfully blue skies all the way to Oban. A chilly breeze didn't stop the old napper getting burnt. Arrived 10 minutes late at Oban but nobody complaining, The shutter button worn out on my camera. On a day like yesterday it must be one of the best sailing trips in the world. A long day and a 2 hour bus journey back with a nice sunset. It doesn't get any better than that!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Thanks. Sounds great and thank goodness Waverley is back in service - what were the numbers like ?

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Probably about half full or half empty depending on your outlook in life?2012 Season.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Not too bad then......

I've got a few pictures from the day now - click the link on the Oban photo at the top of my homepage
    Last edited by tramscape; 06-02-2012 at 17:01.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Yes - South Wales, where at this time of year I would normally be on a Waverley cruise !

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

2012 Season. Originally Posted by No6 2012 Season.
    The Western Isles appears to have had the best of the weather. Iona was spectacular; the sail from Armadale to Oban mediterranean, and to Staffa, unforgettable. Loadings would appear to have been around the long term average, with Gairloch doing very well overall. Tobermory Pier is now applying charges so we only called there once this year - another case of a need to initiate a dialogue to reach a mutually acceptable figure, as piers do not maintain, or staff themselves, and some level of charge is only a reasonable ask. What an appropriate charge should be is a matter for each pier and its likely passenger numbers and economic benefit to the town where it is located. My photos - inter alia - are on http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk231/45596/

The revenue of course will have been distorted this year by Friend of Waverley ticket holders who, I would guess, made up between fifteen and twenty five per cent of those travelling each day - thus drastically reducing the cash taken in daily direct ticket sales. My best estimate of how to equate the effect is to total up the sales to date, and divide them by the number of sailing days in 2012 - that's 50k / 225 = 225 per day equivalent income from the FoW project, replacing in the West Highlands, the revenue from between 50 and 80 passengers per day - that's a range of 1750 to 2800 per day - i.e. a revenue abstraction of 1500 to 2500.

The ability to make a true line journey by bus, steam train and paddle steamer to get from Oban to Kyle of Lochalsh was a bit special - including buying fish and chips to be consumed on board whilst at Mallaig!
    Well Im glad the Western Isles got the best of the weather as the spectacle of the freezing London Philarmonic choristers doing their best with Land Of Hope and Glory on top of a barge in the pissin rain at the conclusion of the London River pageant was a sight to behold but at least the poor Duke managed a couple of jigs to the Sailors' Hornpipe before being despatched to hospital next day. The BBCs coverage was as woeful as the weather.. I presume the Scottish contingent including Glasgow's George Parsonage and his rowing boat got there but maybe it sprang a leak who knows. Why Waverley wasn't allowed to soak off some customers along with the other "prestigous" craft in attendance is still as difficult to fathom as the FOW sale of the century give-away.. but I've got mine so bring on the Clyde.

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

The revenue of course will have been distorted this year by Friend of Waverley ticket holders who, I would guess, made up between fifteen and twenty five per cent of those travelling each day - thus drastically reducing the cash taken in daily direct ticket sales.

Unquote

I fail to see the logic in your post. If true then still plenty of room for paying - on the day - passengers. You can't have it both ways? If someone doesn't become a Friend of Waverley ticket holder then any guarantee they would have been a day paying passenger?

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

The issue is that most FOWs are likely to be existing regular customers would have paid a lot more over the season in the past than they will do now - either by single fares or Commodore Tickets (which were much more expensive). Regulars are quite a big chunk of the customer base

Whether sufficient numbers of people who previously paid less than 175 pounds in a season in daily fares will take up FOW membership is the big question

bearing in mind that the regular customer base may be paying several hundreds of pounds less for their season's sailings, it will need a lot of new FOWs say whose spend has gone up from 60 pounds to 175 pounds to compensate. The question is - how many "new" season ticket holders can be attracted, especially if the majority of "general" customers are satisfied say with one (30 pounds say) or two (60 pounds) Waverley/Balmoral cruises per year. It is a big ask to get 175 pounds from the majority of these

Those usually spending in the range of 150 pounds will probably convert, but how many of those will be needed to compensate? More than they will get, I wager

many feel that the outcome will be revenue negative
    Last edited by tramscape; 06-13-2012 at 12:19.

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

I will gladly leave the total mathematics to No6 but as I managed some 20 Clyde sailings last year and hope to do a similar number this season the average cost to me with my FOW ticket will be about 7.50 per trip. Taking one example the on the day fare from Glasgow to the Antrim coast is 43, so where are the punters going to come from to make this trip at all viable if the majority of the clientele are flourishing their FOW passes. Im all for looking after the regulars up to a pont but if one is going to drastically decrease income from this source one must have other potential markets up one's sleeve. Sorry but I think the answer is a lemon.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

If too big a percentage on passengers are FOWs we could possibly find ourselves in a situation in late and early season when the number of actual fares income generated barely covers variable costs - and maybe not cover costs at all if crew wages, port fees etc are factored in

There would be the temptation to save costs by shortening the crew's paid-on period in the following seasons - and maybe even cancelling early/end of season scheduled cruises if advance bookings and prospective numbers look poor.

Not what FOWs bought into - but not unreasonable if you are the financial accountant of WEL

Potentially a downward spiral and economics of the mad house
    Last edited by tramscape; 06-13-2012 at 23:05.

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Yes but who is the financial director of WEl/WSN these days and is he/she responsible for the FOW scheme and an ally to the fact that Balmoral, the so-called benefactor of Waverley, is finally on the move in mid-June to earn some "revenue" from Garlieston to the Isle Of Man. Crivvens. jings, help ma boab.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Collective responsibility ...................but surely someone must see through to the problems

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Collective responsibility ...................but surely someone must see through to the problems
    Well much as I dislike some so-called financial gurus it beggars belief that any company is just dreaming up
    some hair-brained schemes with what seems to be little regard to the consequences.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Anyone know what Waverley has been doing today sailing into Loch Long ? Is it a charter - or just re-re-setting compasses ?

if the latter is there any reason why this could not be combined with taking cash-paying customers ?

I don't want her sailing around empty for the benefit of whomever - but not the coffers

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Mmmmmnnnn......

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

This deal was heavily promoted in adverts on Scottish Television throughout yesterday. It ended at midnight

https://www.itison.com/Dundee/deals/waverley-tickets

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Interesting. Thanks for posting WF3

They have tried this Groupon type deal in the Bristol Channel before but it is intersting to see how many deals have been sold. Not all are taken up, but let's hope so for on board revenue's sake, and at least it's cash in the bank up front

The saving is a bit misleading as that is probably only if you went on the Glasgow - Antrim coast cruise, but 19 quid is not bad for a Glasgow customer. I suspect most of the buyers will be new or at least occasional customers -as regulars will now be FOWs, so it may be a revenue positive thing.

Noone can accuse the marketing department ................. oh, but if you watched a recent episode of The Apprentice, it's the groupon websites who go out and get all the deals - and take a pretty penny in commission for their efforts !
    Last edited by tramscape; 06-14-2012 at 16:11.

Time Online
    3 Hours 55 Minutes 43 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    32 Seconds

Hello all, I'm new here. Quick question, does anyone know why Saturday's showboat cruise has been cancelled? There's been no announcement on the WE site, Twitter or Facebook.

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

2012 Season. Originally Posted by J Hovis 2012 Season.
    Hello all, I'm new here. Quick question, does anyone know why Saturday's showboat cruise has been cancelled? There's been no announcement on the WE site, Twitter or Facebook.
    No idea... I can only assume its due to lack of bookings but if you are looking for info updates its better to phone because the current Waverley web site is as unreliable as the weather.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

It looks like today's 65th birthday celebrations are not being well attended -at least no one appears to be venturing on deck except four very hardy souls and a crew man !

I've just put a nice photo of her passing Wemyss Bay with MV Bute behind on my homepage - hot off the presses

It's wet here in the north-east (England) but the rain is patchy, air warm and it's calm

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Was it too dangerous to call at Dunoon today or what ?

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

sorry Gordon I did not realise exactly what you meant and there is a great deal to be said for it One problem is that psps mmembers in the south of England will still want to sea their paddle steamer and this would affect support It does seem strange that the Clyde season is so short confined virtually to the School holidays whereas in the old days it started in late May and continued to the end of September

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

It looks like today's 65th birthday celebrations are not being well attended -at least no one appears to be venturing on deck except four very hardy souls and a crew man !

I've just put a nice photo of her passing Wemyss Bay with MV Bute behind on my homepage - hot off the presses

It's wet here in the north-east (England) but the rain is patchy, air warm and it's calm
    The 65th birthday celebrations were a hoot....streamers, congas, fireworks and birthday cake (which there actually was). Weather abysmal, about 200 on board maybe after Largs (where many bailed out), no sign at all of the Clyde former Commodore old guard, lower bar not open but sat there in glorious isolation for a time with my inflated four quid plus large bottle of Magners. Bought a bowl of soup at four quid, Moved to the Jeanie Deans lounge later and bought another Magners on the premise that the band might cheer me up.. at this point we were turning at Loch Goil... back at Largs and band still apparently considering what they were there for. Not a birthday that I care to remember but let the good times roll. Pity Dunoon missed out!!!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

Gillon - You are dead right, enthusiasts around the coast expect to see Waverley each year. Whilst this was no doubt what saved her at the time, it may become Waverley's millstone, especially as enthusiasts on balance die out. Whilst popular, she is not a part of any area's core tourist industry except maybe the Clyde (and only if she is there for longer)

If she is supported by PSPS, then she really does have to fulfill a national role - but if FOWs effectively replace PSPS as the main support group, then this tie begins to wither and the responsibiity fades. maybe FOWs is a cunning plan after all to allow what I have been proposing (mainly as devil's advocate I should say) to come in by stealth

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    59 Minutes 27 Seconds

WF3 : Four quid for a Magners ? Oh well, at least the savings by upgrading from Commodore to FOW allows you to effectively enjoy one and not worry too much about it

Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

WF3 : Four quid for a Magners ? Oh well, at least the savings by upgrading from Commodore to FOW allows you to effectively enjoy one and not worry too much about it
    The rush to the bar in the Jeanie Deans lounge was overwhelming.. Dick Turpin lives. Some punters occupied two tables with their own grub though... a true celebratory picnic. Hope they hadn't the audacity to seek out a free slice of birthday cake but would place a bet that they were the first there,