Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Waverley 2019

Time Online
    5 Days 7 Hours 34 Minutes 37 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hour 20 Minutes 14 Seconds
    Good that they have made up with the Tobermory pier authorities. It looks a nice place to go. Don't know how much time you could spend there without it becoming tedious though

maybe good for walkers .... but I don't expect that they will arrange their holidays around Waverley's visit
    Last edited by tramscape; Yesterday at 17:25.
    InTramCities with Gordon Stewart : Infrastructure, Architecture and Environment along streets with trams : http://paddlesteamers.info/Trams/SeriesList.htm

138 tramway systems - many with multiple visits

Time Online
    8 Hours 33 Minutes
    Avg. Time Online
    5 Minutes 22 Seconds
    Continues the theme of common sense tweaks.

Avoiding the complication and indeed hazard of tendering operations at Staffa and Iona is one.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    There are other ways to get to Iona if you wish to, so people who howl about W not going there are doing it just because they see the ship as their enthusiasts' club ship

We have to tread a fine line between the competing calls on Waverley, but what posts I have seen (which isn't many so far) seem to be positive. The inner hebrides is, I guess, an enthusiasts' mini-holiday more than anything else, so yes, this is the market that these few days have to pander to

Iona is a risk though as noted and may well be best avoided
    Last edited by tramscape; Yesterday at 19:08.
    InTramCities with Gordon Stewart : Infrastructure, Architecture and Environment along streets with trams : http://paddlesteamers.info/Trams/SeriesList.htm

Time Online
    1 Day 3 Hours 16 Minutes 53 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    17 Minutes 9 Seconds

Re: Waverley 2019

Don’t underestimate the value of offering opportunities for the residents and ‘ordinary’ holidaymakers of Skye, Raasay, Mull and Coll to sail. They have in the past turned out in encouraging numbers to support Waverley and to enjoy their surroundings from a different perspective.

A very experienced former Purser regarded the passenger transfer at Iona as the trickiest and riskiest operation of the whole season. Too much can go too wrong too quickly. Having said that, participating in Waverley’s Diamond Jubilee service in the Abbey in 2007 was a personal highlight for me.
    Last edited by millfield153a; Yesterday at 19:38.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I did hear that not a lot of locals did turn out generally, but I suppose that the resident population is miniscule anyway .... so numbers won't be great at the best of times

The problem about the general holidaymakers is that your market is only those who are there at the time and if you exclude those who went up specially for Waverley, the chances are that they have other things planned to do on a full day. I doubt it's the sort of area you go to and sit around doing nothing most days. However, if they have a coinciding day unplanned and at leisure, so long as they become aware of the opportunity, then fine .... but that is why I always favour shorter cruises for such opportunistic business.

Problem is ......if you want a boat trip, Cal-Mac offers plenty of opportunities, frequently and presumably much more cheaply. Additionally, Cal-mac services are more than likely to be researched before visitors arrive, so they will be the "go-to" providers
    Last edited by tramscape; Yesterday at 21:43.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    The comments on FB regarding the changes to the early season programme and the increased "variety" and presumably novelty are, of course coming from seasoned enthusiasts who have done the trips a gazillion times so any microscopic change is no doubt welcome

However

Will the general public notice .... or care ? Will the changes actually result in higher loadings and increased revenue ? It might (marginally) but I really doubt it. Most enthusiasts would probably sail irrespective of the minor tweaks .... they would just have a tad more interest once they were aboard

The factors affecting Waverley loadings - or the ones that really matter - are sea and weather conditions. Demand otherwise is, in my view, very "inelastic"

Yes you can crucify loadings and thus revenue by a very bad programme (which WEL are unlikely to offer) or a severely cut-back one (which they won't do either)

I, of course, am happy with the latter, a severely cut-back programme, because I believe I can reduce costs by more than the revenue which would be lost.

Whether W goes to Loch Striven or not, Kllchattan Bay or not ......... just fiddling around the edges, but nice for the enthusiasts for sure !
    Last edited by tramscape; Today at 12:23.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    17 Minutes 9 Seconds

If the roll call of beautiful West Coast features in the provisional timetable (not really intended as a tool to sell to the general public) is reproduced in the finalised sailing programme I would see that as an attempt to sell the beauty and uniqueness of the waters in which Waverley sails in a way which hasn’t been done quite so specifically and deliberately before. The emphasis seems to be more on the sights to be seen during the voyage rather than on the destination. The difference this makes to the bottom line may well be slight but it does indicate a willingness to do things slightly differently. And my impression gained over many years of visits, by the way, is that visitors do not arrive with a mapped-out programme but see what’s on offer when they reach the area and plan from day to day - with the weather certainly a controlling factor.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Waverley 2019 Originally Posted by millfield153a Waverley 2019
    And my impression gained over many years of visits, by the way, is that visitors do not arrive with a mapped-out programme but see what’s on offer when they reach the area and plan from day to day - with the weather certainly a controlling factor.
    Yes, I would expect that, certainly on the Clyde, where in the summer a regular programme will definitely catch a fair chunk of such business, if there is much to be had nowadays

A few days in the Oban area surely really means you have to plan for the trip or it is sheer luck. Of course I cannot really say what type of visitors are attracted to the inner Hebrides but my impression was that a fair chunk of them would be be dedicated tourers ...... whether on foot or in a car/camper ....with their itineraries planned with great precision and the "hopscotchers" will get enough boat trips as it is !

Still, it is good that the cruises are better marketed as primarily sightseeing trips. Maybe we will see the elimination of the Saturday "booze cruise" !
    Last edited by tramscape; Today at 13:37.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    17 Minutes 9 Seconds

Yes, RET has brought camper vans out in ever greater numbers but there are still plenty who arrive for their week or fortnight in a holiday cottage, breathe a sigh of relief at having escaped from routine and deadlines, and say ‘What shall we do next with our little spell of freedom?’. My son is calling in on us shortly after just such a break on Skye with his family (yes, in February!)

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    Sounds as if there might be potential for a longer stay in the area then !

I know that there is a big issue at the moment regarding "overcrowding" due to cars/campers and the relative lack of roads and accommodation ...... there is surely great potential for expansion for both, but that would affect the essence of the area - the relative quietness if not exactly "desolation" as such

It has the scenery ..... but from a paddle steamer point of view, it is a shame that it is not a lot busier !

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Waverley 2019 Originally Posted by tramscape Waverley 2019
    Quote from press : The Waverley generates £3.6million for the Scottish economy every year, supporting 136 FTE jobs.
    Who dreams up these figures ? Sounds good though and it might help the cause
    To be fair, Waverley is (almost) the only reason I would visit Scotland and even then it would be a flying visit, spending very little money locally ...... except to buy a boot load of Scotch Pies ! I know that some Waverley supporters go north for a trip

I have come up for Queen Mary and would do so again, and for Maid of the Loch ............. and for the Edinburgh tramway extension, if they ever build it !. The latter I could do in a fairly comfortable day trip though

I guess the Scottish economy is not going to get rich on me !
    Last edited by tramscape; Today at 17:45.