Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Waverley 2019

Time Online
    1 Day 18 Hours 50 Minutes 8 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    16 Minutes 47 Seconds

Re: Waverley 2019

Waverley 2019 Originally Posted by fv24 Waverley 2019
    In response to a recent post, just because a director is shown by Companies House as having resigned, it does not necessarily mean that they have been fired
    Agreed: it is entirely possible that the changes are all the results of resignation, possibly because the people in question felt that they could not endorse a vision of the organisation’s activities and culture suggested (or insisted upon) by the majority shareholders. If a director serving for a fixed term had simply come to the end of that fixed term, however, I would have expected to see a more or less immediate replacement.
    Last edited by millfield153a; 01-16-2019 at 11:34.

Time Online
    1 Week 15 Hours 55 Minutes 11 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hour 12 Minutes 5 Seconds

In response to a recent post, just because a director is shown by Companies House as having resigned, it does not necessarily mean that they have been fired!

There is an implication that one of the recent boardroom changes had been due to a "firing", but as I pointed out myself previously, the positions are sometimes for set periods and - in this instance - it's likely that the individual had "served his time" on the company board and, therefore, was due to retire from the board anyway.

It is an extremely important distinction.
    Point taken, but in this instance, I don't buy it

If they chose not to put themselves up for re-election (or re-appointment, or however these closed companies do it) then fine, but why all the secrecy surrounding the matter ? Announcing that they chose not seek re-appointment would surely not hurt their "sensibilities" as we were told that an early explanation of the changes would likely do
    Last edited by tramscape; 01-16-2019 at 12:46.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Waverley 2019 Originally Posted by millfield153a Waverley 2019
    Agreed: it is entirely possible that the changes are all the results of resignation, possibly because the people in question felt that they could not endorse a vision of the organisation’s activities and culture suggested (or insisted upon) by the majority shareholders.
    If they resigned over a change to the strategy of the company as imposed by the parent company ... then what's the secrecy? If this is the case, I would expect the change of strategy to be extremely radical ..... and just as radical as the Doctor has imagined in his most extreme of scenarios

PS. WEL have just posted appealing for volunteers to come along and do some painting etc. Maybe some will now be tempted. I trust that there will be lots of cans of buff paint for them to get to work with !
    Last edited by tramscape; 01-16-2019 at 12:22.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    It is amazing how quickly a facebook post is picked up and represented as "news" by a veritable journal

My faith in this journal and its journalism was totally shattered when I read the first line of the report, which is the text of the posting journalist ......

https://www.largsandmillportnews.com...or-volunteers/

I guess that many will believe what they read and it becomes a "fact". Inevitable ! hashtag fake news !

If anyone is registered with this journal, maybe they could just do the necessary ?
    Last edited by tramscape; 01-16-2019 at 13:20.

Time Online
    1 Hour 7 Minutes 26 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    26 Seconds
    "The oldest paddlesteamer (sic) in the world".
    The WAVERLEY is actually one of the newest.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I could not be bothered registering but forgot about facebook so I have now posted on the article there

The role of my organisation (PSPS) includes the education of the public .......and as a member I have to and want to do the same

Job done
    Last edited by tramscape; 01-16-2019 at 21:01.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I missed this about Waverley and Helensburgh pier

https://www.helensburghadvertiser.co...d-in-new-year/

I wonder which regime they were talking to ? Of course the new GM is not in place until mid February ..... but is influence already being wielded ?

Maybe there is the opportunity to say that we will make it our base if they do the necessary

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Waverley 2019 Originally Posted by tramscape Waverley 2019
    Maybe there is the opportunity to say that we will make it our base if they do the necessary
    You don't even need to do that. Waverley is such a prize (and even they seem to say it is in the WSN accounts) that local authorities should surely be falling over themselves to attract her. No need to beg

However, if places assume that Waverley is not interested (and previous managements have been charged with not being so) then they won't bother to ask

I think that Largs will have to remain a calling point because someone did see the value of having Waverley a few years ago
    Last edited by tramscape; 01-18-2019 at 22:23.

Time Online
    1 Day 8 Hours 54 Minutes 47 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    12 Minutes 54 Seconds

Paul Semple has announced today he is standing down as PSPS Chairman and Chairman of the Scottish Branch so he can concentrate on his new role as General Manager of Waverley Excursions from 18th February.
    Announced on the PSPS website: paddlesteamers.org
    I am sure we all wish Paul good luck in his new role.

Time Online
    10 Hours 51 Minutes 17 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 15 Seconds

Waverley 2019 Originally Posted by DOUG Waverley 2019
    Paul Semple has announced today he is standing down as PSPS Chairman and Chairman of the Scottish Branch so he can concentrate on his new role as General Manager of Waverley Excursions from 18th February.
    Announced on the PSPS website: paddlesteamers.org
    A brave decision by Paul.

I can't think of anybody of his generation better suited to the role.

I have no doubt that he will select and inspire a winning team both ashore and afloat.

Good luck indeed!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 15 Seconds

You don't even need to do that. Waverley is such a prize (and even they seem to say it is in the WSN accounts) that local authorities should surely be falling over themselves to attract her. No need to beg

However, if places assume that Waverley is not interested (and previous managements have been charged with not being so) then they won't bother to ask

I think that Largs will have to remain a calling point because someone did see the value of having Waverley a few years ago
    The Helensburgh development if it included rebuilding the pier could indeed be an exciting opportunity.

I am also of the opinion that Calmac will eventually move from the congested Largs town centre site to a site probably between Largs and Fairlie capable of future development, and what an amazing opportunity for the Waverley to make Largs her operating base that would be.

One thing is sure and that is we now have a management both with the ability and pragmatism to take advantage of any such developments as they arise.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    16 Minutes 47 Seconds

We enthusiasts seem to have been unanimous in our approval of the new Waverley appointments. Let’s make sure that we now give the team the time they need to find their feet and plot the course ahead, supporting them in every way we can - best of all, of course, by getting aboard and encouraging others to do the same. Having sailed on Waverley every season (except 1974!) for more than fifty years I’m hoping that my grandchildren will enjoy their first trip this summer.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I'm not sure that there will be a change of course. "Better" management of the current course, I would expect, for sure. I wait to see
    Last edited by tramscape; 01-27-2019 at 00:07.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

We enthusiasts seem to have been unanimous in our approval of the new Waverley appointments.
    There is one poster on facebook who has just predicted disaster ...... I have no idea if he is an enthusiast or a wind-up merchant. Not sure why he is a member of an enthusiasts' group, though, if he is

I have to put on record that I disagree with his prediction (which does not appear to be an analysis of any sort other than "no experience")
    Last edited by tramscape; 01-27-2019 at 16:43.

Time Online
    2 Hours 14 Minutes 21 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    52 Seconds

If anybody knows what is required to operate the Waverley successfully then it's Paul.

He has been involved with the steamer since he was at school, not as a teacher but as a pupil. He's worked on board for years, has dealt with many aspects of its operation from wiping up dining room spills to dealing with cancelled calls on board. He is more than suitably qualified in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Time Online
    1 Day 8 Hours 54 Minutes 47 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    12 Minutes 54 Seconds

There is one poster on facebook who has just predicted disaster ...... I have no idea if he is an enthusiast or a wind-up merchant. Not sure why is a member of an enthusiasts' group, though, if he is

I have to put on record that I disagree with his prediction (which does not appear to be an analysis of any sort other than "no experience")
    We had “no experience” back in 1975!!!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    16 Minutes 47 Seconds

We had “no experience” back in 1975!!!
    What you did have was determination, boundless enthusiasm and the knack of getting the best out of people and anyone who knows Paul will see the same qualities in him. There were plenty who predicted ‘trouble on the horizon’ back then and of course there were glitches - but the prophets of doom were wrong.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I think that the business is well enough established and understood - and it is not as if the whole edifice has been brought down and having to start from scratch. The key immediate issues are the ones which have caused most of the aggro, reputedly internally, and evidently externally - and I believe these will be sorted pretty much by this change almost "at the stroke of a General Manager's pen"

The challenges really facing the business are the ones outside their control. Fuel prices, legislative changes, economic circumstances in general. Weather could be cited ...... but it is a known unknown, so to speak and can be planned for

How do they future-proof the business ? These are the issues which need to be exercising the mind right now

A person with vision and analysis is needed. A good teacher may well have the ideal attributes.
    Last edited by tramscape; 01-27-2019 at 23:23.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    16 Minutes 47 Seconds

A good teacher may well have the ideal attributes.
    I can think of at least three other teachers who have already played very significant parts in the Waverley story - and although the parallel between heritage railways and Waverley is not exact, it is worth looking at what happened at the West Somerset Railway when a teacher took over as MD.

Unless I am getting lost in the intricacies of Facebook, by the way, the Doubting Thomas over there seems to have removed his comment - and with it at least two replies seeking to help him understand why Paul's appointment is a good one.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

I can think of at least three other teachers who have already played very significant parts in the Waverley story - and although the parallel between heritage railways and Waverley is not exact, it is worth looking at what happened at the West Somerset Railway when a teacher took over as MD.

Unless I am getting lost in the intricacies of Facebook, by the way, the Doubting Thomas over there seems to have removed his comment - and with it at least two replies seeking to help him understand why Paul's appointment is a good one.
    Yes, I saw it had gone ...... I thought our replies were nicely measured ! I think he probably deleted it out of embarrassment
    Last edited by tramscape; 01-28-2019 at 01:37.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    The guy drew parallels with an ex-Sainsbury's guy making what he felt was a hash of running Cal-Mac

Really you don't need to know anything about ships to run WEL (or Cal-Mac). I'm not sure the last CEO did at first. Inevitably, you pick up all you need quickly in the job. Anyway it not the GM's role to know the minutiae. You ask what your ship can do - and at what cost. If you want it to do something else, you ask if it can be done - and at what cost. If your ship manager is a Dr No type, you press the person

management is about management and achieving goals, not being immersed in seafaring or whatever is actually being offered. In a case like Waverley, though, it helps to be an enthusiast in many ways, although it can be dangerous in others. Clearly the goals being set for Cal-Mac were ones which had some operational negatives and were not universally popular with the public/passengers/enthusiasts.

I bet Kells didn't know the first thing about ships ........... but he put the operation on an improved footing (even if he failed to solve the Trip Advisor issue !)

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    16 Minutes 47 Seconds

I thought our replies were nicely measured !
    Yours more than mine!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    What ? No news ?

It's like being a Spurs fan on transfer deadline day !

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 15 Seconds
    No news is good news!Waverley 2019

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Waverley 2019 Originally Posted by kylemore Waverley 2019
    No news is good news!Waverley 2019
    Dead boring, though !

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 15 Seconds

Dead boring, though !
    I daresay, however as I understand it Paul doesn't take over the reins until mid February so I suppose we're in a bit of a limbo just now.

Some are concerned that the timetable is a bit delayed however I don't think this will have much adverse effect particularly on the Clyde where many decide to travel at short notice (including me) dependent on weather etc. I suppose if you're booking holidays for the west highland week it might be a bit of an inconvenience, however I think most will recognise that a wee bit of short term interruption is a small price to pay for long term improvement.

The South coast and Thames will be over subscribed as usual (if the timetable follows the usual pattern) even if booking is slightly delayed.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    We'll just have to gossip !

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I had to allow myself a wry smile when I read this on a German steamship facebook page on a thread about one of the Rhine paddle steamers : quote (google translate used for you !)

Here I remember a chaotic Sunday evening 1972 from Koblenz to Bonn with many highly alcoholic passengers. Good thing the audience is different today!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    Watching the new video of the completion of the tenting around Queen Mary's foredeck and thinking of the various recent posts elsewhere about the new covered dry-dock on Lake Thun reminded me about PS Skibladner

She has a rather nice winter lay-up berth. Snow on the decks can be a major hazard for her and she has sunk a couple of times because of it. Not now. Maybe the new Waverley organisation should rattle the tins and wine and dine the politicians to get something like she has

https://en.gjovik.com/what-to-do/ski...gjovik-p638213

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I was going to talk about something, but am not going to now
    Last edited by tramscape; 02-07-2019 at 17:43.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I see that there is a very large and formal notice up outside Waverley which seems to be designed to keep the general public as far away from it as possible as if it is some sort of military state secret. Not very touchy-feely at all

Also it says that there can be no photography without permission

Hell, that means employing even more staff at Lancefield Quay to issue permits !

I shall ensure that I don't bring my camera (if I ever go on Waverley again). I'm glad I got a fair number of photos of her in the past .... but maybe I should remove them from my website and burn the originals as I certainly did not get any permission when I took them. The old regime must have been very liberal and enthusiast-friendly......

PS. Actually, it wasn't because I remember getting a letter from WEL warning me that if I took photographs, I had to ensure that no crew members were in it.
    It's hard to avoid them if you do a close - up ......I had absolutely no desire to photograph "people" but I was so scared that I put my camera well away

WEL were not very endearing at all
    Last edited by tramscape; 02-10-2019 at 20:23.

Time Online
    6 Hours 46 Minutes 31 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Minutes 39 Seconds
    None of which they have any power to enforce if you're not actually on the vessel. Who comes up with rot like this? We're not french, stop writing stupid unenforceable rules.

Time Online
    6 Hours 13 Minutes 31 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Minutes 26 Seconds

Come the new regime on 18th February it is going to become "friendly" isn't it?

Time Online
    2 Hours 14 Minutes 21 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    52 Seconds

That sign has been there for some time - years, if I'm not mistaken. It's the maritime equivalent of a 'No Trespassing' sign.

Last edited by fv24; 02-11-2019 at 00:04.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

That sign has been there for some time - years, if I'm not mistaken.

Ah, no wonder I was on WEL's blacklist then !

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 15 Seconds

That sign has been there for some time - years, if I'm not mistaken. It's the maritime equivalent of a 'No Trespassing' sign.

Fair enough - should be replaced with a friendly worded sign saying "no unauthorised entry however Waverley sails from here in the summer and we would love to welcome you aboard then, go on to our website for further details". Simples!
    Last edited by kylemore; 02-11-2019 at 11:37.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Waverley 2019 Originally Posted by kylemore Waverley 2019
    Fair enough - should be replaced with a friendly worded sign saying "no unauthorised entry however Waverley sails from here in the summer and we would love to welcome you aboard then, go on to our website for further details". Simples!
    Indeed so, but it seems that this very unfriendly sign is telling us that the ship is under MARSEC Level 1 security procedures and all that this entails. It would appear that they are obliged to do this as part of IMO rules - and make the sign look as if you even cast a glance you are likely to be incriminating yourself !

There is no customer friendly sign next door to it, I don't suppose

I am not sure why there is not a blanket ban on photographing Waverley anywhere then - unless you have the necessary documentation on you

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 15 Seconds

Indeed so, but it seems that this very unfriendly sign is telling us that the ship is under MARSEC Level 1 security procedures and all that this entails. It would appear that they are obliged to do this as part of IMO rules - and make the sign look as if you even cast a glance you are likely to be incriminating yourself !

There is no customer friendly sign next door to it, I don't suppose

I am not sure why there is not a blanket ban on photographing Waverley anywhere then - unless you have the necessary documentation on you
    Ok, pay lip service by putting up the "official" sign but the smallest possible - say A4 (who the hell is going to inspect it!) and then put the big friendly sign as suggested above next to it - say 10ft by 15ft (or the maximum than can be got away with without planning consent!) with a big photo of happy smiley punters enjoying their sail on a sunny day!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    With timetables not due to be issued until the end of March, is there anything to be read into this ?

IIRC last year the Clyde one was available late November or so. The programme north of Hadrian's (Clyde anyway) has been very much the same for years on end. The variables and potential conflicts would appear to be well known. The tides are not usually insurmountable. So, on the face of it, the delay seems unusual

Does this mean that there is currently a major economic reassessment of the programme under way - and a completely re-cast schedule likely to be the result ?

I don't care when they come out myself, but others certainly do, both general public and presumably tour operators too
    Last edited by tramscape; 02-13-2019 at 21:32.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    One thing they do seem to have done is remove the link to the Trip Advisor review page from the WEL Facebook home page.

I guess that is one way of trying to conceal the past as much as possible from those seeking advice as to whether to give WEL their custom

They are still showing those red funnels though !
    Last edited by tramscape; 02-13-2019 at 22:18.