Re: Waverley 2019

Waverley will be back .... but maybe not to Helensburgh, it would seem

Time Online
    2 Weeks 2 Hours 57 Minutes 50 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hour 6 Minutes 29 Seconds

ALMOST THERE NOW .....

1 million announced for historic vessel.

The last sea-going paddle steamer in the world will receive £1 million of Scottish Government funding to help it sail again, Culture Secretary Fiona Hyslop has announced.

The Waverley Paddle Steamer has been in operation for over 70 years, transporting millions of passengers to a variety of locations throughout the UK but is currently out-of-service and urgently requires new boilers.

Scottish Government funding will go towards replacing the twin boilers as well as other necessary maintenance and upkeep such as replacing the main electrical switch board, new cabling and installing new generators.

Ms Hyslop said: “The Waverley has delighted generations of locals and visitors throughout its 70-year history and I am pleased to be able to announce this significant financial commitment to help the historic paddle steamer set sail once again.

“In 2020 Scotland’s coasts and waters will be celebrated with a programme of activity designed to inspire more people than ever before to explore and experience our unrivalled shores. I look forward to seeing the Waverley, such a key part of our maritime and cultural history, back in service and able to play a central part in that celebration.”

General Manager of Waverley Excursions Paul Semple said: “The trustees are delighted that the Scottish Government has recognised the Waverley’s importance to Scotland’s heritage and tourism with this generous grant towards our Boiler Refit Appeal.

“Taken together with the donations received from thousands of individuals across the UK it brings our appeal total to £1.9 million but more funding is required to reach our £2.3 million target to Save the Waverley.

“The continued support we are receiving is extremely heartening and we would like to sincerely thank everyone who has donated so far, we now hope that the corporate sector and grant-giving bodies will join the Government in supporting the Waverley to return to service next summer.”

Time Online
    3 Hours 44 Minutes 29 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    44 Seconds

Time Online
    1 Day 19 Hours 29 Minutes 53 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    8 Minutes 31 Seconds

Waverley 2019 Originally Posted by Blaven Waverley 2019
    This is a historic day for the Waverley. One major step closer to sailing again in 2019.
    Congratulations to the small team who are masterminding the Boiler Appeal so successfully!
    Nearly there.......but important to keep up the pressure!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Andrew Clark's report on the PSPS website (link above) really is excellent - and now everything is clear for all to know

As I have said all along, a "game changer" was needed and clearly it could not have been announced earlier. I guess real proof rather than an estimate of public support was needed as well as the inevitable business plan in order to swing it (I wonder what the business plan involves !)

I hope I am not thought of as a "naysayer" ..... only nay to the extent that without these game changers, there was no chance .... and of course, I still feel that the Appeal should have followed the Fundraising Regulator's Code of Practice even if that was only a technicality. Rules are rules

This money seems to have come directly from governement rather than any allocated fund (but I don't know) so in that case it is rather surprising. However the SG seem to have a track record now what with Prestwick and Fergusons .....I hope the non-paddle steamer fraternity are happy too

Life is a lot better now....and I think new sources of finance will be unlocked
    Last edited by tramscape; Yesterday at 12:15.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

So, having seen the newly posted photo of a well-known social media infuencer with two MSPs outside St Andrews House in Edinburgh, it would surely be wrong to rule out him having had no inside knowledge of the matter. I suspect that social media was used to keep up enthusiasm amongst supporters - and the upbeat tones were not misplaced

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

As you can imagine, all day I had a spring in my step and enough of a spring to get myself on to cloud number nine, feeling very positive and selfless after initial worries

Even better, my copy of the new Paddle Wheels arrived. As I was spending much of the day monitoring social media regarding comments about Waverley, I thought that I would leave it for bedtime reading

First up was what was proving to be a very interesting and informative report from WSN as usual ........ but then I was dismayed by what I read

I could hardly believe it. Demotivation ? Tell me about it.