Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maid Of The Loch Facebook Page

Time Online
    16 Hours 19 Minutes 19 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 12 Seconds

Re: Maid Of The Loch Facebook Page

I have mentioned before that the West Highland Way runs up the east side of Loch Lomond. With a bit of thought and marketing the Maid of the Loch could derive some traffic from this long distance footpath.
    Should Arrochar Pier ever re-open, a narrow gauge railway from Tarbet would be more to the point.

Time Online
    2 Weeks 2 Hours 57 Minutes 50 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hour 6 Minutes 29 Seconds
    Well, I do see how the trip from Luzern to Vitzau and up the Rigi railway (and back down to Weggis by cablecar if you so choose) generates massive patronage for the steamers. I do note how a brand new vessel has recently been built purely to serve on a frequent shuttle basis the funicular from Kehrsiten up the Burgenstock for patrons of a new hotel resort development at the top

I find Lake Lucerne fantastically beautiful, but like most Swiss Lakes I do notice, with a tinge of sadness, the creeping housing (ie chalet and sometimes flats) developments. The number of cranes is particularly noticeable on lake Zurich. I can't see that ever being allowed at Loch Lomond other than maybe this one development at the bottom end, which is fair enough. That's what is widely wanted and that lobby dwarfs the steamship lobby by a million to one I guess
    Last edited by tramscape; 05-06-2019 at 11:40.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Maid Of The Loch Facebook Page Originally Posted by rannoch Maid Of The Loch Facebook Page
    I have mentioned before that the West Highland Way runs up the east side of Loch Lomond. With a bit of thought and marketing the Maid of the Loch could derive some traffic from this long distance footpath.
    Should Arrochar Pier ever re-open, a narrow gauge railway from Tarbet would be more to the point.
    It is something they will have to really think about but there are some services already by CLL over to the east side ..... but very small boats and so infrequent that you need to plan round the boat schedule. I do know someone from England who did use this service once last year whilst doing the West Highland way by virtue of having their van parked on the west side. I don't know if most walkers do their West Highland Way walks in chunks like this or just keep walking up the east side ....

Lake Lucerne in particular is full of walkers as the Swiss National Pathway goes round the southern end and as is common in Germany and Switzerland, walking is a well-organised if not a highly-regimented affair. The beauty there is that piers are closely spaced ...... and boats/ships commensurately frequent
    Last edited by tramscape; 05-06-2019 at 11:38.

Time Online
    14 Hours 25 Minutes 38 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Minutes 49 Seconds
    Photos posted on twitter recently show that efforts on the Maid are going well with the new air pump manufactured and main steam pipe fitted. They expect her ready to steam by July.
    youngac, proud to be a member of National Steam Ship Preservation since Jun 2011.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Minutes 49 Seconds
    The Maid’s rear mast has been temporarily taken down to allow strengthening work to take place in the rear saloon. The ship’s paddle crests have also been beautifully replicated and will make their appearance on the ship soon.
    youngac, proud to be a member of National Steam Ship Preservation since Jun 2011.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    Civil disobedience is threatened in Balloch, it would seem

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...oxvsRjFdyw1LRo

I can't imagine that these people would wish the Maid to Sail !

Time Online
    18 Hours 7 Minutes 2 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 33 Seconds

Maid Of The Loch Facebook Page Originally Posted by tramscape Maid Of The Loch Facebook Page
    Civil disobedience is threatened in Balloch, it would seem

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...oxvsRjFdyw1LRo

I can't imagine that these people would wish the Maid to Sail !
    It's bizarre isn't it?

A relatively small and apparently quite attractive development on the site of some old railway sidings, from all the fuss you'd think they were proposing to build a replica of Alton Towers on Inchmurrin and shove up a Premier Inn on the summit of Ben Lomond!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Minutes 49 Seconds
    The Maid’s port paddleboxes has been beautifully restored

Time Online
    13 Hours 31 Minutes 27 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Minutes 39 Seconds

Maid Of The Loch Facebook Page Originally Posted by kylemore Maid Of The Loch Facebook Page
    It's bizarre isn't it?

A relatively small and apparently quite attractive development on the site of some old railway sidings, from all the fuss you'd think they were proposing to build a replica of Alton Towers on Inchmurrin and shove up a Premier Inn on the summit of Ben Lomond!
    Kylemore and others - what is the status of this proposal now? - I have not seen any further press comment.

Time Online
    18 Hours 7 Minutes 2 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 33 Seconds

Maid Of The Loch Facebook Page Originally Posted by Marisco Maid Of The Loch Facebook Page
    Kylemore and others - what is the status of this proposal now? - I have not seen any further press comment.
    Sorry Marisco I've not been following it closely.

Time Online
    16 Hours 19 Minutes 19 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 12 Seconds

It all appears to have gone quiet. There has been no more reporting the issue in the local press.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I guess there is not a right lot to say at the moment, but I am sure that once that boiler is delivered and everything is hooked up - and that crankshaft turns, there will be renewed press interest