Likes Likes:  53
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Waverley 2018 season

Time Online
    1 Week 3 Days 1 Hour 20 Minutes 29 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hour 8 Minutes 36 Seconds
    I have a big smile on my face any time I am in Poland or Latvia !

probably it is the distinct lack of trams in the UK which is a major cause of such symptoms. I can sympathise with their plight

Glasgow could do with a proper tramway system too
    Last edited by tramscape; 09-13-2018 at 15:51.

Time Online
    8 Hours 3 Minutes 18 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Minutes 17 Seconds

Re: Waverley 2018 season

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by tramscape Waverley 2018 season
    I have a big smile on my face any time I am in Poland or Latvia !

probably it is the distinct lack of trams in the UK which is a major cause of such symptoms. I can sympathise with their plight

Glasgow could do with a proper tramway system too
    I remember riding on the Glasgow Trams on the way to my Grandad & Granma's place in Cardonald - must have been in the early 60s - I remember it be a rather uncomfortable, drafty, noisy experience.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by Marisco Waverley 2018 season
    I remember riding on the Glasgow Trams on the way to my Grandad & Granma's place in Cardonald - must have been in the early 60s - I remember it be a rather uncomfortable, drafty, noisy experience.
    No doubt would have been back in those days ....

Glasgow Coronations and even the "Cunarders" were getting pretty old by then and some much older remained ..... but they were pretty luxurious as far as public transport went
    Last edited by tramscape; 09-13-2018 at 19:20.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    The debate about whether Waverley should sail or not over on FB is quite interesting

I, of course, have no view on the current situation

I do, however, believe that a company should advertise very clearly what they can offer and in which circumstances.

Don't offer the earth - or let it be assumed that the earth is being offered - then cause disappointment !
    Last edited by tramscape; 09-16-2018 at 17:19.

Time Online
    13 Hours 26 Minutes 3 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 49 Seconds

The debate about whether Waverley should sail or not over on FB is quite interesting
    Not only that but some quite controversial statements that border on the libellous.

I'm glad I don't do Facebook!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by kylemore Waverley 2018 season
    I'm glad I don't do Facebook!
    Oh, go on ........!

Time Online
    1 Hour 29 Minutes 47 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    25 Seconds

I, of course, have no view on the current situation

I do, however, believe that a company should advertise very clearly what they can offer and in which circumstances.

Don't offer the earth - or let it be assumed that the earth is being offered - then cause disappointment !
    Last week I booked for a boat trip with another operator. The day before the trip, I received this e-mail (with X's to hide their identity):

This is a friendly reminder that your cruise to XXXXXX is tomorrow. It is at this time where, we are starting to check the weather to ensure your trip will be safe and as enjoyable as it can be.
    At 18:00pm the Metoffice will release the shipping forecast for the following 24hrs and based on this information we decide whether the trip will go ahead.
    If your trip is cancelled due to the weather conditions, you will receive another email from us between 18:00pm and 20:00pm tonight. Please look out for this email and your immediate response would be most helpful. We will also attempt to call you, please ensure your phone is turned on.
    If the tour is going ahead, we will not email but you may wish to check the following webpage to ensure your trip will be going ahead.
    Check your cruise status here:
    https://www.XXXXXX/cruise-status

How does this compare with Waverley Excursions' procedure?

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    Ha ha ! That sounds like it was composed by a real caring human being !

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 49 Seconds

Oh, go on ........!
    No thanks - FB is the work of the Devil - or the CIA whatever!Waverley 2018 season

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I wouldn't want to be going out in this either

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    New on Waverley's FB page

We were abandoned at Southampton Railway station and told to make our own way home to Weymouth. There were many elderly and less mobile people with us. No-one from the Waverley was there to guide those less able, and no-one was available at Weymouth railway station when we alighted the train at 23.30pm. Many people had to return to the Pavilion in the pitch dark, having no idea how to get there from the railway station. Please learn from this and allocate staff to look after your paying passengers.

.... the customer "does not recommend Waverley Excursions"

No comment !
    Last edited by tramscape; 09-18-2018 at 01:43.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 49 Seconds

New on Waverley's FB page

We were abandoned at Southampton Railway station and told to make our own way home to Weymouth. There were many elderly and less mobile people with us. No-one from the Waverley was there to guide those less able, and no-one was available at Weymouth railway station when we alighted the train at 23.30pm. Many people had to return to the Pavilion in the pitch dark, having no idea how to get there from the railway station. Please learn from this and allocate staff to look after your paying passengers.

.... the customer "does not recommend Waverley Excursions"

No comment !
    The complete report makes interesting reading.

Coaches could be arranged for a shuttle to Southampton station but not for a run along the coast to Weymouth? I wonder if that was based on cost - the assumption being that many (most?) passengers would not go through the bother of seeking compensation for train fares, taxis etc.

And as for "allocate staff to look after your paying customers" - what staff? All the crew are required onboard and the legion of shore based volunteers was dispensed with long ago.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

And as for "allocate staff to look after your paying customers" - what staff? All the crew are required onboard and the legion of shore based volunteers was dispensed with long ago.
    That's an interesting issue. With the ship not sailing (or at least not with passengers) presumably there is staff aboard who could have accompanied the passengers. Why not? Out of hours ? "Nothing to do with me" attitude ?

Anyway, the point being is the lack of understanding by many customers (not people like us, of course) why there is no shore-based representaion and infrastructure. It is something they would expect when they have bought an expensive day out

Although it's not really any better on the Clyde, at least there, less things go wrong and the consequences are not so great. Away from base in areas where more issues can arise and are harder to resolve, the lack of shore-based infrastructure is a major problem

Another reason why it may not be the best idea to sail in these areas, and definitely not in the run up to the equinox

Not coming south would horrify most enthusiasts, I know full well - and lead to the inevitable need to close (or drastically reduce) the office-based "infrastructure" in Scotland. Unthinkable for some - sensible for others. Not something WEL would put into their business plan, though, whatever the benefits

PS - not saying that I side with any particular view on this strategic issue

Edit - Waverley is seeing a lot of Southampton quayside. news just through that Wednesday is cancelled now. Thursday will be no better by informed accounts - so that is the south coast season over. A complete disaster, I am afraid. When people got a sail, the sail was very nice and the ship itself much admired
    Last edited by tramscape; 09-18-2018 at 16:28.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 49 Seconds

That's an interesting issue. With the ship not sailing (or at least not with passengers) presumably there is staff aboard who could have accompanied the passengers. Why not? Out of hours ? "Nothing to do with me" attitude ?

Anyway, the point being is the lack of understanding by many customers (not people like us, of course) why there is no shore-based representaion and infrastructure. It is something they would expect when they have bought an expensive day out

Although it's not really any better on the Clyde, at least there, less things go wrong and the consequences are not so great. Away from base in areas where more issues can arise and are harder to resolve, the lack of shore-based infrastructure is a major problem

Another reason why it may not be the best idea to sail in these areas, and definitely not in the run up to the equinox

Not coming south would horrify most enthusiasts, I know full well - and lead to the inevitable need to close (or drastically reduce) the office-based "infrastructure" in Scotland. Unthinkable for some - sensible for others. Not something WEL would put into their business plan, though, whatever the benefits

PS - not saying that I side with any particular view on this strategic issue

Edit - Waverley is seeing a lot of Southampton quayside. news just through that Wednesday is cancelled now. Thursday will be no better by informed accounts - so that is the south coast season over. A complete disaster, I am afraid. When people got a sail, the sail was very nice and the ship itself much admired
    Not much to disagree with there Tramscape.

I don't understand the preference for "equinoctial" September/October over the relatively benign and long daylight hours May/June. "They" say there's no business to be had then, but they've never really tried.

As for the "strategic issue" close LQ and do away with the 60k salaries I say!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Not much to disagree with there Tramscape.

I don't understand the preference for "equinoctial" September/October over the relatively benign and long daylight hours May/June. "They" say there's no business to be had then, but they've never really tried.

As for the "strategic issue" close LQ and do away with the 60k salaries I say!
    Surely NOTHING to disagree with !!!!

I guess it is all down to the fact that the decision was made to go south only once in the season. If you go down early you might well lose less days, but could you do all three sailing areas properly and be back for the (early) Scottish school holidays ?

Miss out on some of the holiday period and you have a pretty short summer season on the Clyde and presumably nothing in the western Isles

With the Clyde being dead after mid to late August and with not much business except perhaps at weekends, she would be tied up in September/October instead of May/June

Not an easy calculation for the office to make - but they will have the spreadsheets

The unthinkable strategic about-turn would render this line of enquiry and debate redundant !

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 49 Seconds

The unthinkable strategic about-turn would render this line of enquiry and debate redundant !
    Well yes!

The PSPS will have to put their foot down sooner or later.

Enhanced Shieldhall model the way forward.

75% volunteer/retiree/semi-retiree crew.

25% Paid professionals.

Mainly weekend operation on Clyde from mid may to mid sept (sat/sun early and late season & Fri/sat/sun/mon high season), with perhaps a wee jaunt up to Oban for a few days in June. Perhaps a special jaunt to the Bristol Channel every 3 or 4 years or so.

Little or no "Head Office" function and certainly no 60k salaries - highest paid should be permanent Master and Chief Engineer who would fulfil Marine Superintendent duties off season.

Well valued and motivated retired/semi-retired Volunteers onshore handling publicity/ website etc perhaps with an office manager on a modest salary, office a cheap rented ex shop in Largs which can double as "front of house".

Cruises mostly limited to 3-4 hour upper Firth, based mainly Largs, advance booking downplayed, pay on day, keep it simple.

More in common with a well run preserved railway than with a commercial operation.

Good will all round!

We can but dream I suppose.Waverley 2018 season

P.S. As far as Largs is concerned Calmac must be looking at more modern mainland terminal facilities for the Cumbrae service away from the constrained and congested Largs town centre site. Might it not be possible for Waverley to take over Largs pier as a centre of operations and maintain it as a heritage facility with council help?
    Last edited by kylemore; 09-19-2018 at 12:49.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Well yes!

P.S. As far as Largs is concerned Calmac must be looking at more modern mainland terminal facilities for the Cumbrae service away from the constrained and congested Largs town centre site. Might it not be possible for Waverley to take over Largs pier as a centre of operations and maintain it as a heritage facility with council help?
    THIS .... as they say .............. and a prescription which gets this doctor's approval

Building blocks for the New World !
    Last edited by tramscape; 09-20-2018 at 11:51.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    Friday and saturday now cancelled. It's the refund (or credit !) administration which is the job creation scheme now

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 49 Seconds

Friday and saturday now cancelled. It's the refund (or credit !) administration which is the job creation scheme now
    I genuinely feel sorry for the ordinary front of house staff who are answering the phones and dealing with refunds just now, no doubt with some aggressive callers.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

I genuinely feel sorry for the ordinary front of house staff who are answering the phones and dealing with refunds just now, no doubt with some aggressive callers.
    Absolutely .......

..... and telling Gift Aiders (or anyone who forgot to untick the box) that they can't get £ 17.50 back in cash won't help their plight
    Last edited by tramscape; 09-20-2018 at 16:48.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    Under my plan, office people would not have to put up with this sort of thing

Time Online
    3 Hours 10 Minutes 37 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    54 Seconds

Mark this day down in history! WEL have actually posted a status update on their Twitter account!

Check out @PS_Waverley’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/PS_Waverley/stat...389523969?s=09

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    No, I'm not going to acknowledge this day as the first of a brave new world

This post is no more than a marketing post - the same as on the FB page but yes, it gives a hint that things have not been going to plan !

Time Online
    1 Day 14 Hours 29 Minutes 10 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    10 Minutes 56 Seconds

Waverley on her way at long last from Southampton to Gravesend this morning having been stormbound for over a week.
    With a good forecast for the rest of the week, hopefully she will be able to rescue the last couple of weeks of the Thames season and earn some much needed revenue.

Time Online
    3 Months 1 Week 1 Day 5 Hours 42 Minutes 15 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    11 Hours 10 Minutes 10 Seconds
    Paddle Steamer Waverley passing through Tower Bridge on her cruise to Gravesend, Southend and the river Medway. click pic for video

When Britain was workshop to the world!
    Grimsby Tide Times

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I see the complaints are flooding in today

Horrible reviews on the WEL FB page
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-06-2018 at 22:47.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I'm trying my level best to defend Waverley (and WEL), but it is hard to convince people

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    I defend them, but if I wrote even 10% of what is being written about them yesterday and today, just imagine the nasty letters which would be arriving on my doorstep !

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 49 Seconds

I defend them, but if I wrote even 10% of what is being written about them yesterday and today, just imagine the nasty letters which would be arriving on my doorstep !
    Goodness knows the arguments have been well rehearsed on here over the last few years!

In my opinion a secure future for the Waverley lies in an enhanced "Shieldhall" type operation or along the lines that is (note is, not was) envisaged for MOTL.

Limited area of operation probably based on Largs, between 3 and 4 days a week operation from mid May to mid Sept, mostly short 2-4 hour cruises, a quality coffee,cake and snacks catering offer and lots of enthusiastic volunteers backed up by a core of professionals who have a genuine affection for Waverley and are not just passing through. Oh and a low cost minimal management structure.

Nurture links - for instance with the Glasgow Nautical College for low cost volunteer training and with Calmac re. Largs.

The present WEL regime is not regarded with any affection or even respect - the most I ever hear in it's favour is "well at least the boat comes out every year"!Waverley 2018 season

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    .... and still they come in

This one on TA this afternoon has an ending which goes like this

"I would ask you to refund the money we paid for the trip but I doubt if you will even reply to this email let alone a refund. You can be assured we will not be joining the society"

A number of people seem to be wanting refunds. Imagine the response they will get !

Poor Paul Semple - he is doing his level best to drum up membership

How do we bring about change to this sorry state of affairs ?
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-08-2018 at 17:10.

Time Online
    16 Hours 32 Minutes 45 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 42 Seconds
    The amount of passengers they carry a lot of them old and disabled if any thing happened they would struggle to get them off.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by billsea Waverley 2018 season
    The amount of passengers they carry a lot of them old and disabled if any thing happened they would struggle to get them off.
    It depends on how fast Waverley sinks. She has a second skin, watertight compartments .... so won't go down that fast - and MCA are satisfied that the crew can do the necessary

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 42 Seconds
    They could reduce their capacity of passengers per trip not pack them on with some of the passengers not getting a seat and having to stand for hours.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 42 Seconds

It depends on how fast Waverley sinks. She has a second skin, watertight compartments .... so won't go down that fast - and MCA are satisfied that the crew can do the necessary
    I wouldnt like to be the skipper with over 700 passengers on board if anything did happen God forbid

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

They could reduce their capacity of passengers per trip not pack them on with some of the passengers not getting a seat and having to stand for hours.
    That is the major complaint from the Thames area - especially a Saturday and anytime when it is wet and windy

They could reduce the number on board, but what is the point ? They need the money or it is not worth going South

They have to take the money and run - and too many on board are writing on social media that they think the "company" is putting money and profit before passengers' comfort and safety.

They can't win - except perhaps by getting the Doctor's / Kylemore's prescription ......... but which turkeys vote for Christmas ?

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online

I wouldnt like to be the skipper with over 700 passengers on board if anything did happen God forbid
    Skippers of the past would have had up to 1250 on board - and I don't think too many lost too much sleep ever

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    Not quite sure why the newsbar is advertising Helensburgh on Saturday and the website is inviting bookings from Helensburgh

We were led to believe that the pier was closed to her until further notice

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Minutes 49 Seconds

Skippers of the past would have had up to 1250 on board - and I don't think too many lost too much sleep ever
    I think the most people I've ever seen boarding a steamer would be in 1976 or 1977 when the Queen Mary swept into Dunoon Pier about 2100 on Cowal Games day and literally hoovered up a crowd that stretched all the way to the Argyll Hotel! Six gangways and probably around 2000 give or take a 100 or so. A beautiful calm evening and the skipper executed a wide slow turn to port south around the Gantocks before heading for Gourock. An unforgettable sight witnessed from the balcony on Dunoon Pier.

That is why the Clyde steamers had such big capacities - to carry the huge crowds from Craigendoran, Gourock and Wemyss Bay to Dunoon and Rothesay, 30-75 minute crossings. That was their primary purpose - cruising was secondary, the paddlers in particular were never designed to accommodate 700-800 on 8 or even 10 hour marathon cruises!
    Last edited by kylemore; 10-08-2018 at 18:39.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    Yes, Queen Mary would have been a much better bet for what they are trying to do but there again, people would be rattling around like peas in a drum most of the time now

They need to concentrate on what the Heritage Lottery Fund will expect from them
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-08-2018 at 19:43.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    ..... and still more angry people ( 7 stars "awarded" in the last six reviews)

It's not as any of this should come as a surprise. It's been the case for years

Whoever is in charge just doesn't seem to learn or want to learn more likely. WEL need the money to keep their jobs

Waverley really mustn't do this any more
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-08-2018 at 22:16.