{vb:raw welcome_headers
Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Waverley 2018 season

On Tripadvisor unhappy customer

What was highlighted was the fact that, if this ship did go down, most people wouldn't stand a hope in hell of getting a life-jacket! If I had realised how crowded it would be, I would never have put my grandchildren at risk, because it really was dangerous.

It's all a matter of perception - but if the public perception is such, then you have to allay the worries - or risk such a situation

No responses from WEL on FB, TA as you might imagine.... Their last response on TA was on August 14th !

The perception (by some, but one is too many) then is that WEL (and by association, the ship's owners), don't give a monkeys
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-09-2018 at 11:04.
    WSN/WEL automatically class the £17.50 admittance element of your fare as a donation even though they do not fulfill the generally-applicable rules which define what a donation must be in order for charities to do so. This means that any Gift Aid form you sign and any claim they make on HMRC would appear to be invalid. WSN refuse to explain why they believe their approach is in compliance with the law
    InTramCities with Gordon Stewart : http://paddlesteamers.info/Trams/SeriesList.htm

Last Saturday, the weather in London was pretty horrible, with a lot of rain. I was on a boat with plenty of seating in warm saloons with big windows and that was for a meeting booked in advance, otherwise I might have stayed at home. I would not have wanted to be on the WAVERLEY in that weather.
    On Saturday, passengers from Whitstable had over seven hours on the ship for a fare of £49 and those from Southend had six hours for £41. Most of the passengers, if not all of them, would have booked in advance.
    In the past, very few pleasure steamers sailed in October and people did not book in advance so few would travel on a cold wet day.
    There's no easy solution for Waverley Excursions, but nobody should have to endure the way people were treated on Saturday. Advance bookings should be limited to the number of seats under cover, with other tickets sold at short notice if the weather forecast is good. Extra seating should be provided, perhaps by temporary canopies on deck or by changing the layout in the saloons - it's been done on many other excursion ships.

Unusual to see a picture of Waverley in the (English) edition of The Times newspaper, but there is a nice colour photo in today

No news - just a caption to say that she was built in 1947, is the world's last sea-going paddle steamer and that she is still offering trips on the Thames
    WSN/WEL automatically class the £17.50 admittance element of your fare as a donation even though they do not fulfill the generally-applicable rules which define what a donation must be in order for charities to do so. This means that any Gift Aid form you sign and any claim they make on HMRC would appear to be invalid. WSN refuse to explain why they believe their approach is in compliance with the law
    InTramCities with Gordon Stewart : http://paddlesteamers.info/Trams/SeriesList.htm

Next weekend on the Clyde cancelled

Gambled again ...... and lost again

Heads roll elsewhere for much less
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-09-2018 at 15:17.

Looking back at the past five years, the end-of-season weekend Clyde sailings were cancelled completely in 2014 and the Saturday was cancelled in 2017, so that's seven out of ten which ran. I'd guess a lot of the passengers are enthusiasts, so will be more understanding, but the number of cancellations this autumn and the poor reviews should lead to a rethink. The pattern of sailings has been the same for so many years and must be due for a change.

There will be no change. mark my words
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-09-2018 at 15:56.

Re: Waverley 2018 season

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by tramscape Waverley 2018 season
    There will be no change. mark my words
    Change is inevitable - but I would agree, probably not soon!

Bunkers have now, presumably, been taken at Weymouth - and the related invoices posted to the ledger

What I would like to know now is whether revenue covered costs from the moment she last left Greenock - and if any contribution at all was made to the business

.... and in her costs I include everything expended on the sojourn and include the cost of keeping extra staff on to administer ticket sales and refunds, all the marketing and promotional materials, arranging the logistics .....
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-09-2018 at 23:06.

Looks like she's on the move

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by billsea Waverley 2018 season
    Looks like she's on the move
    Not in the direction of home, though !

No doubt parking up at Southampton or wherever will not be cheap
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-11-2018 at 12:25.

They need to concentrate on what the Heritage Lottery Fund will expect from them
    WSN don't have a website. WEL (their subsidiary) do

It is a shocker of a website for education and heritage - the reason they get masses of money from the HLF and HMRC from Gift Aid, let alone charitable status in the first place !!!
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-11-2018 at 12:48.

Why didn't she sail up back home on Monday weather was excellent until Wednesday night

Why didn't she sail up back home on Monday weather was excellent until Wednesday night
    Was it excellent ?. A friend of mine, a former crew member, was very doubtful she would get home, even when she left Gravesend

Weather is one thing, sea conditions another
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-11-2018 at 17:08.

Was it excellent ?. A friend of mine was very doubtful she would get home, even when she left Gravesend

Weather is one thing, sea conditions another
    I thought she was a sea going Paddle Steamer
    Last edited by billsea; 10-11-2018 at 17:17.

I thought she was a sea going Paddle Steamer
    She has a Class III passenger certificate, which makes her "sea-going"

We don't know what conditions the MCA imposes for sea transits, let alone what the company's own safety manual says

Sending her out in heavy seas surely cannot be acceptable ?

She has a Class III passenger certificate, which makes her "sea-going"

We don't know what conditions the MCA imposes for sea transits, let alone what the company's own safety manual says

Sending her out in heavy seas surely cannot be acceptable ?
    Agreed! No doubt she could have risked it and made a dash for home but the significant risk of broken paddle floats, damage to the paddle wheels and maybe the hull going round Land’s End in a big swell I s simply not worth the risk.
    She is, after all, a preserved ship. It would be good to keep her going a bit longer!

Oh dear - the latest reviewer has come up with this :

"I would strongly recommend avoiding this company. Avoid at all costs, because it will cost."

It seems like this reviewer is thinking of going to the small claims court

Hmmnn. I wonder if he Gift Aided his fare ? ! Now, that would be dynamite !

PSPS, of course, is committed to support "this company".
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-11-2018 at 22:59.

Oh dear - the latest reviewer has come up with this :

"I would strongly recommend avoiding this company. Avoid at all costs, because it will cost."

It seems like this reviewer is thinking of going to the small claims court

Hmmnn. I wonder if he Gift Aided his fare ? ! Now, that would be dynamite !

PSPS, of course, is committed to support "this company".
    Looks like some big changes are needed

Looks like some big changes are needed
    Really only to the terms and conditions for refunds ..... at least in respect to this issue

However, the issue is massively complicated by the fact that Gift Aid is applicable (if chosen) to part of the fare - and the law says that this cannot be refunded in cash but only credits

The complainant is complaining about only getting a "refund" as a credit, which he says he won't be able to use

I don't know if he ticked the GA box or not - but the lesson is there. Don't authorise GA if there is any doubt about a sailing going ahead. Unfortunately this affects areas where up to 40% of WEL's business is conducted

Please - WSN : Scrap the GA on fares ...... but if you don't please then do it properly, like I have explained to you
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-12-2018 at 11:51.

Thank goodness for a 5-star review which has just come in ..... although it was for a cruise on the Clyde

That's the way it should be

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by GeoffHamer Waverley 2018 season
    Last Saturday, the weather in London was pretty horrible, with a lot of rain. I was on a boat with plenty of seating in warm saloons with big windows and that was for a meeting booked in advance, otherwise I might have stayed at home. I would not have wanted to be on the WAVERLEY in that weather.
    On Saturday, passengers from Whitstable had over seven hours on the ship for a fare of £49 and those from Southend had six hours for £41. Most of the passengers, if not all of them, would have booked in advance.
    In the past, very few pleasure steamers sailed in October and people did not book in advance so few would travel on a cold wet day.
    There's no easy solution for Waverley Excursions, but nobody should have to endure the way people were treated on Saturday. Advance bookings should be limited to the number of seats under cover, with other tickets sold at short notice if the weather forecast is good. Extra seating should be provided, perhaps by temporary canopies on deck or by changing the layout in the saloons - it's been done on many other excursion ships.
    I was on that trip the weather was bad no wonder passengers complain not enough seating inside to many onboard not safe if any thing had happened.

Don't all these people realise that Waverley is supported by the HLF etc because of heritage protection - and bringing the past to new audiences

Packed excursion steamers is part of our heritage. The ship's owners are duty bound to replicate historical conditions and experiences in as authentic a way as possible. That way the public learns about the past properly

This point needs to be made widely and clearly !
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-15-2018 at 15:33.

Don't all these people realise that Waverley is supported by the HLF etc because of heritage protection - and bringing the past to new audiences

Packed excursion steamers is part of our heritage. The ship's owners are duty bound to replicate historical conditions and experiences in as authentic a way as possible. That way the public learns about the past properly

This point needs to be made widely and clearly !
    What to the point that safety is ignored and passengers are suffering i dont think so.

It was said with tongue firmly in cheek !

Anyway, the safety authorities are agreeable with the fact that it is not unsafe and the safety arrangements more than adequate.

However, the point about heritage and learning about the past (ie the whole reason why Waverley survives at all) is a valid one - and must be made much more a part of the Waverley experience

It is absolutely not a commercial operation in the usual sense of the word and cannot be just a nice day out for the general public, or it should pay back the multi-millions given to it and lose charitable status
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-15-2018 at 17:19.

Anyway, the safety authorities are agreeable with the fact that it is not unsafe and the safety arrangements more than adequate.

However, the point about heritage and learning about the past (ie the whole reason why Waverley survives at all) is a valid one - and must be made much more a part of the Waverley experience

It is absolutely not a commercial operation in the usual sense of the word and cannot be just a nice day out for the general public, or it should pay back the multi-millions given to it and lose charitable status

WAVERLEY STEAM NAVIGATION CO. LIMITED his a Private limited Company

Might it not be a blessing in disguise if the MCA slash the numbers to about 350/400 or so, completely destroying the WEL business model and thus forcing change?Waverley 2018 season
    Last edited by kylemore; 10-15-2018 at 20:37.

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by engineman Waverley 2018 season
    WAVERLEY STEAM NAVIGATION CO. LIMITED his a Private limited Company
    Waverley Steam Navigation is a constituted as a company under the Companies Act (2006).

Your point ?
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-15-2018 at 22:11.

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by kylemore Waverley 2018 season
    Might it not be a blessing in disguise if the MCA slash the numbers to about 350/400 or so, completely destroying the WEL business model and thus forcing change?Waverley 2018 season

My radical business model would achieve breakeven with those limits
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-15-2018 at 22:12.

My radical business model would achieve breakeven with those limits
    I am sure it would - based on a more restricted and less risky operational area, consequently reduced overheads and hugely increased volunteer involvement - basically enhanced Shieldhall.

However some very comfortable incomes are dependent on the present business model and they won't go down without a fight!

Waverley Steam Navigation is a constituted as a company under the Companies Act (2006).

Your point ?
    Its not a charity its a business
    Last edited by engineman; Yesterday at 05:54.

Its not a charity its a business
    Waverley Steam Navigation Co Ltd is a charity !!!!! Number SC005832 to be specific

It trades through a subsidiary non-charitable company (WEL) but that is for various reasons, legal and financial

This is a grey area too, especially as around half of the ticket price is charitable and half not.

WSN has specific objects as a company which have gained it charitable status and which it must work to

Grants such as that from the HLF are made on the basis of fulfilling these objects. Any future grant applications will no doubt be scrutinised much more closely for the charitable benefits which will be provided
    Last edited by tramscape; Yesterday at 11:09.

Waverley Steam Navigation Co Ltd is a charity !!!!! Number SC005832 to be specific

It trades through a subsidiary non-charitable company (WEL) but that is for various reasons, legal and financial

This is a grey area too, especially as around half of the ticket price is charitable and half not.

WSN has specific objects as a company which have gained it charitable status and which it must work to

Grants such as that from the HLF are made on the basis of fulfilling these objects. Any future grant applications will no doubt be scrutinised much more closely for the charitable benefits which will be provided
    So who owns the Waverley

So who owns the Waverley
    WSN (on behalf of the PSPS). PSPS is the majority shareholder in WSN. The balance of the shares are held by named individual PSPS members. WSN operates independently from PSPS although PSPS is granted representation on the board of Trustees
    Last edited by tramscape; Yesterday at 11:27.

Well, it's back to the same old same old - and probably much worse in tone than usual

I recommend that PSPS leaders and anyone else in influence reads the latest 2 comments on the WEL FB page (one also copied to TA) plus the plethora of bad reviews from the last few weeks. Do they ever read them at all, I wonder ?

We have no idea what those in charge think of it all, let alone what they intend to do (if anything)

I cannot stand Waverley coming in for such comments any more. I have felt this way for years, the truth be told

Waverley surely cannot go anywhere near the Thames again

The Doctor's prescription would avoid all of this - and probably reduce the amount of subsidy needed from PSPS and public appeals. Certainly, it would not increase the need

The ship could be advertised as "under new management" and try and make a fresh start of it

Disappointing, frustrating, sickening. Will things change ? Someone really has to get a grip of this - not let it drift on as it has done year after year
    Last edited by tramscape; Yesterday at 12:14.

Well, it's back to the same old same old - and probably much worse in tone than usual

I recommend that PSPS leaders and anyone else in influence reads the latest 2 comments on the WEL FB page (one also copied to TA) plus the plethora of bad reviews from the last few weeks. Do they ever read them at all, I wonder ?

We have no idea what those in charge think of it all, let alone what they intend to do (if anything)

I cannot stand Waverley coming in for such comments any more. I have felt this way for years, the truth be told

Waverley surely cannot go anywhere near the Thames again

The Doctor's prescription would avoid all of this - and probably reduce the amount of subsidy needed from PSPS and public appeals. Certainly, it would not increase the need

The ship could be advertised as "under new management" and try and make a fresh start of it

Disappointing, frustrating, sickening. Will things change ? Someone really has to get a grip of this - not let it drift on as it has done year after year

Big changes are needed to the refunds you cant expect people to pay that amount of money and not get a refund

Big changes are needed to the refunds you cant expect people to pay that amount of money and not get a refund
    It is not made crystal clear (though it is mentioned on the FAQ page) that if you Gift Aid your fare, you cannot by law get a cash refund on the first £ 17.50

(Note: whether the £ 17.50 actually qualifies or not is a separate issue)

I don't know if they are denying cash refunds to non-Gift Aiders but it seems like they might be
    Last edited by tramscape; Yesterday at 13:54.

Well, I have started a discussion about the "London Complaints" on the Waverley Supporters Group on facebook ..... and what do you know !

Total poo-pooing of the idea that a crowded ship is an uncomfortable ship - and basically it is their own look out if the elderly and infirm have to stand for hours on end out in the wind and rain. "Bundle yourself up !"

Unbelievable. Presumably these are the supporters' views which PSPS/WSN/WEL have to reflect

I give up !
    Last edited by tramscape; Yesterday at 14:32.

I remember being told, or perhaps even admonished, when I was still involved by a long standing senior member of the PSPS several years ago when I raised the point that many passengers, both actual and prospective, would appreciate being assured of a comfortable seat preferably under cover, that such a thought was rubbish as you went on the vessel to lean on the rail. To me that is fine if it is a choice but not if it is a necessity to keep you upright at the end of a long day.
    Last edited by France Fenwick; Yesterday at 22:03.

I often think the WAVERLEY's "supporters" are the ship's worst enemies. Some seem to think that it's fine that people who've paid up to £55 for a pleasure cruise have to stand for hours like passengers on a rush-hour tube train. Complaints about the awful catering and absurd refund system are ignored but should make all PSPS members ashamed.