{vb:raw welcome_headers
Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Waverley 2018 season

Shorter trips less passengers is the only way to solve this problem.

Waverley is due to sail from Southampton at 4pm today. Track her all the way home https://steamships.org.uk/Track_Wave..._waverley.html

When Britain was workshop to the world!
    Grimsby Tide Times

Re: Waverley 2018 season

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by billsea Waverley 2018 season
    Shorter trips less passengers is the only way to solve this problem.
    The doctor's prescription is for two three-hour cruises each weekend day in the sailing season
    InTramCities with Gordon Stewart : http://paddlesteamers.info/Trams/SeriesList.htm

Another one-star review today, but probably would have been a couple more had it not been raining

Still no WEL answering since August 14th and some of the bad ones before then have been left unanswered (publicly at least). No attempt to explain or assuage peoples concerns and correct misapprehensions on WEL's own FB page

Come on WEL (or WSN, or PSPS) ! Give your account - and let people see that you appear to be concerned as to why they find their day out not quite as wonderful as expected !
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-18-2018 at 16:34.
    InTramCities with Gordon Stewart : http://paddlesteamers.info/Trams/SeriesList.htm

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by George Ted Waverley 2018 season
    Waverley is due to sail from Southampton at 4pm today. Track her all the way home https://steamships.org.uk/Track_Wave..._waverley.html
    Now showing ETA Glasgow: 2018-10-20 18:00 LT

Now showing Campbeltown arriving at 9am this morning?

The call at Campbeltown was to take fuel. The Waverley is now on her way to Glasgow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back at Science Centre at 17:50 this afternoon

Is that it for the year now in terms of discussion ?

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by tramscape Waverley 2018 season

It needs some serious looking into for passengers comfort and safety

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by billsea Waverley 2018 season
    It needs some serious looking into for passengers comfort and safety
    I'm not sure that there is an real issue with safety - customer perception on very busy days when it is wet for sure, and this issue is really only raised by some customers following Thames cruises. I would expect that the MCA have got it right

Comfort ? It is hard to see what can be done with the amount of under-cover space they have, save give clearer advance information to customers about the relative lack of indoor accommodation. This is normally self-regulating as fewer people board in poorer weather. Only on the Thames is there real need to book in advance, leading to much higher loads that might otherwise be expected for the conditions

The Thames - the best and the worst for Waverley and a conundrum where the financial imperative wins out

They certainly need to fill up on when they can on financial grounds - or we might as well give up ....... or look at a different business model. WSN/WEL won't be doing the latter you can be assured
    Last edited by tramscape; 10-20-2018 at 20:52.

The answer to all Waverley's woes is blindingly obvious - only run on the Thames.
    nthomas, proud to be a member of National Steam Ship Preservation since Jun 2011.

I'm not sure that there is an real issue with safety - customer perception on very busy days when it is wet for sure, and this issue is really only raised by some customers following Thames cruises. I would expect that the MCA have got it right

Comfort ? It is hard to see what can be done with the amount of under-cover space they have, save give clearer advance information to customers about the relative lack of indoor accommodation. This is normally self-regulating as fewer people board in poorer weather. Only on the Thames is there real need to book in advance, leading to much higher loads that might otherwise be expected for the conditions

The Thames - the best and the worst for Waverley and a conundrum where the financial imperative wins out

They certainly need to fill up on when they can on financial grounds - or we might as well give up ....... or look at a different business model. WSN/WEL won't be doing the latter you can be assured
    Less passengers shorter trips keep the trips to 3 hours still charge the same price

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by nthomas Waverley 2018 season
    The answer to all Waverley's woes is blindingly obvious - only run on the Thames.
    The argument has always been that the local thames pleasure cruise mafia will only tolerate the Waverley on condition her season is short.

Whether this argument is real or not I haven't a clue!

The wagons will be circling as we speak!

No need for discussion - carry on regardless.

Waverley 2018 season Originally Posted by kylemore Waverley 2018 season
    .... and no doubt Gift Aid claims will be being prepared from inside the corral
    Last edited by tramscape; Yesterday at 11:49.

The argument has always been that the local thames pleasure cruise mafia will only tolerate the Waverley on condition her season is short.
    Whether this argument is real or not I haven't a clue!
    I know some of the boat owners and skippers in London and I've never heard any of them speak of the WAVERLEY as a rival in any way. They make money from charters for social and business functions, and from sightseeing trips. The WAVERLEY is unsuitable for these because of her passenger facilities and because she can't go under the bridges through central London. No other boats offer day trips from London to Southend, Whitstable or Clacton so the WAVERLEY has this market all to herself. The problem for the WAVERLEY on the Thames is that there are few piers she can use. Tower Pier is busy during the daytime so all the WAVERLEY can do are non-landing cruises from Gravesend through Tower Bridge, or day trips leaving London in the morning and returning in the evening.

No need for discussion - carry on regardless.
    Let's try not to worry about it. Let them get on with it. There's more to life. I won't stop liking Waverley though

They've even worn me down over Gift Aid (but have in no way even begun to satisfy me)

If PSPS took a different view I might get motivated again

I'll go to AGM and observe from the back row
    Last edited by tramscape; Today at 00:12.