{vb:raw welcome_headers
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear

Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear

I haven't heard anything about former Danube paddler Johann Strauss for almost 10 years when, having been a successful enough restaurant ship at a prime site in central Vienna, she was sold for supposed conversion and reuse in the hospitality trade. I could never find any current information about her. Well, I have just seen her - still at her prime site - but unused, pretty derelict and covered in grafitti. She seems open to all elements but I could not see what conditions were like inside.

\perhaps this is one for our council of management of PSPS to take under their wing. She is one of the few paddlers around which could actually make it to the UK !

Here is a set of my pictures http://paddlesteamers.info/Johann%20...pt%202016.html
    WSN/WEL automatically class the £17.50 admittance element of your fare as a donation even though they do not fulfill the generally-applicable rules which define what a donation must be in order for charities to do so. This means that any Gift Aid form you sign and any claim they make on HMRC would appear to be invalid. WSN refuse to explain why they believe their approach is in compliance with the law
    InTramCities with Gordon Stewart : http://paddlesteamers.info/Trams/SeriesList.htm

Re: Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear

I spotted her when in Vienna in March and she was a sorry sight then but I have to say that I cannot recall any graffiti when I saw her so the graffiti artists have been busy in the past few months.
    I believe there was a plan to convert her into a hotel ship which seems rather odd as the number of rooms would have been very limited due to her relatively small size. As far as I know, the plans came to nought - perhaps the owner has gone bust?
    As for the PSPS taking her under our wing, maybe we have enough to keep us busy in the meantime back home??!!

Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear Originally Posted by DOUG Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear
    As for the PSPS taking her under our wing, maybe we have enough to keep us busy in the meantime back home??!!
    I can live in hope (as I always do) !

Yes, a hotel seemed a bit unlikely, even though she is a sizeable ship. This is what I wrote on my website 9 years ago (gosh, 9 years ago !)

"In May 2007 it was reported in the Austrian press that Johan Strauss was to be rebuit as a hotel-ship designed to attract Japanese tourists interested in music. 15-20 luxury bedroom suites are envisaged, each furnished in classical Viennese style. 12 million Euros have been earmarked for the conversion by owners DDS Johann Strauss which is expected to be completed by the end of 2007. The rather uninviting canalside where she is moored is also to be transformed with various food pavillions, with a strong "fish" theme".

I don't think any work was ever done. The canalside hasn't changed although the big Vienna-Bratislava hydrofoil station has been built very close by. Street-level at Schwedenplatz is really buzzing though with any number of eating places (two metro lines, loads of trams (!) as well) - only 50 metres from where the ship lies, virtually out of sight
    Last edited by tramscape; 09-14-2016 at 17:28.
    WSN/WEL automatically class the £17.50 admittance element of your fare as a donation even though they do not fulfill the generally-applicable rules which define what a donation must be in order for charities to do so. This means that any Gift Aid form you sign and any claim they make on HMRC would appear to be invalid. WSN refuse to explain why they believe their approach is in compliance with the law
    InTramCities with Gordon Stewart : http://paddlesteamers.info/Trams/SeriesList.htm

Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear Originally Posted by tramscape Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear
    She is one of the few paddlers around which could actually make it to the UK !
    I doubt she could be eligible for more than a Class V ticket without wholesale reconstruction, so inside Cloch/Dunoon pier only. Are twin rudders a common Danube design feature?

If something like that were brought to the UK, the MCA would expect it to be of the same standard as a new ship. It would mean a complete rebuild even to get a Class V certificate.

Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear Originally Posted by somewhatfoolish Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear
    Are twin rudders a common Danube design feature?
    Schonbrunn has if I recall correctly. Without further research I can't be sure if it was standard for all DDSG ships but I guess it was commonplace

Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear Originally Posted by GeoffHamer Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear
    If something like that were brought to the UK, the MCA would expect it to be of the same standard as a new ship. It would mean a complete rebuild even to get a Class V certificate.
    Yes, I wonder what MCA would make of it !!! An iron hull ? Dating originally from 1853 !!!!

Of course it is a non-starter, but I bet she would be as river / estuary - worthy as any. Need to find some engines though !

Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear Originally Posted by tramscape Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear
    perhaps this is one for our council of management of PSPS to take under their wing. She is one of the few paddlers around which could actually make it to the UK !
    AFAIK the status of the hull does not allow any towing...

Schonbrunn has if I recall correctly. Without further research I can't be sure if it was standard for all DDSG ships but I guess it was commonplace
    The twin rudder was common on all DDSG-paddlers rebuilt after WWII: Johann Strauss, Schönbrunn, Franz Schubert.

Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear Originally Posted by donaudampfer Johann Strauss - Dear oh Dear
    AFAIK the status of the hull does not allow any towing...
    Thanks for that DD. My comment was one delivered with my usual attempt at light-hearted humour ......but it is a shame if she will have to be demolished where she is

Are there any plans at all for her ?

According to an Austrian Newspaper she has been sold. The new owner want's to invest some 700.000 Euros to convert her into a Vienna Style Coffee House.
    http://www.wienerzeitung.at/nachrich...n-Strauss.html
    But it also seems that there is a pending lawsuit for non paid fees... So we will see...
    Btw.: The night club closed in 2013 because of security concerns.

Very interesting

Many thanks for that steamjoe

Gordon

I found some interesting information about her: It was planned to sell her in a auction last year. The price should be based on scrap value 22.500 EUR (ca. 250 tons of steel).
    Source (in German): FHS/
    More interesting are the related reports with plenty of data and pictures:
    Part 1
    Part 2

I don't know if there was a buyer. According to the article, the ship should be removed until 30.6.2016.

Wow ! That is an incredible find steamjoe ! Many thanks

Gordon

presumably the information you posted earlier still holds true that the new owner wants to refurbish her ?

Looking at the detailed photos - that will be a big job. Very interesting detailed photos. I will enjoy reading the report
    Last edited by tramscape; 03-27-2017 at 14:10.

Well, the information about planned refurbishment was in July - the report about the auction in June. So maybe the information about refurbishment was already from the new owner (let's hope so)?

With the Vienna authorities requiring her removal from her city-centre location, the increasingly derelict ship was towed to Freudenau harbour on December 15th 2017

It is understood that the paddler will go up for auction in the new year

Another one bites the dust .... we might have to start singing, I suspect

Some photos and videos of the day here ...

https://derstandard.at/2000070439141...l-abgeschleppt

and here for text and photos

https://kurier.at/chronik/wien/donau...pt/302.188.824

She would look nice in Glasgow, Dumbarton (!) or Clydebank (!!) but she won't be coming, I have no doubt !
    Last edited by tramscape; 12-30-2017 at 18:25.

I understand that she has recently been towed to Komarno for scrapping

She fetched the equivalent of £ 20 k at auction - without engines or boiler