{vb:raw welcome_headers
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ryde facts/myths/unknowns

Smile Ryde facts/myths/unknowns

Hullo all

Ive been reading up on Ryde lately and some things have caught my eye. I was wondering if anyone knew anything of them.

1-Was she at Dunkirk?

2-Was she at present off Normandy on D Day. Yes she took part in Operation Neptune, but whether she went across on D Day or D Day +1 etc seems v hard to nail down. She seems to have been used to provide AA cover to Mulberry A off Omaha beach until that harbour was wiped out by the storm.

3There are several sites recounting two tales-1-that she was ordered to run aground if she did not have enough fuel to return to UK and 2- that a shell struck her and penetrarted to the engine room and failed to detonate.

Just curious if anyone knows of these or a source of such tales. Given the eventful war Ryde seems to have had it is weirdly hard to find solid facts. And the SR boats are severely lagging behind their Clyde counterparts in terms of print lol. Speaking of anyone know of a 'definitive' history of SR fleet.

Thanks

Re: Ryde facts/myths/unknowns

The navy archives at Kew seem to be missing most of the war period logs of small ships unfortunately, HMS Ryde does not turn up using the search engine.

Ryde was definitely not at Dunkirk

Fleetmates Portsdown, Sandown and Whippingham were, though

Sandown and Whippingham also supported the Normandy landings and Ryde was there too, but Portsdown had been mined and sunk earlier in the year.

You are right, there appears to be very little little literature specific to the Portsmouth-Ryde railway ferries - or at least I am not aware of anything and I don't have anything specifically on them in my library. Of course, they are referred to in general books on occasion
    WSN/WEL automatically class the £17.50 admittance element of your fare as a donation even though they do not fulfill the generally-applicable rules which define what a donation must be in order for charities to do so. This means that any Gift Aid form you sign and any claim they make on HMRC would appear to be invalid. WSN refuse to explain why they believe their approach is in compliance with the law
    InTramCities with Gordon Stewart : http://paddlesteamers.info/Trams/SeriesList.htm

A paperback ca 1948 called Steamers of the Solent which I may not be able to find

Otherwise in standard works of reference including Thorntons South Coast Stemers

I guess that these ships were almost entirely confined to Portsmouth/Southsea and Ryde and on railway connections that they never quite generated the affection that an "excursion" ship might - and being railway-owned, the back-story behind the ships might be less broad-ranging than for Cosens or what became Red Funnel.

It does seems surprising though. These ships were fine machines in their own right and had lots of admirers. There also seem to be copious books about virtually everything these days.

For my web pages, I think I had to refer to wikipedia most of the time !!!
    WSN/WEL automatically class the £17.50 admittance element of your fare as a donation even though they do not fulfill the generally-applicable rules which define what a donation must be in order for charities to do so. This means that any Gift Aid form you sign and any claim they make on HMRC would appear to be invalid. WSN refuse to explain why they believe their approach is in compliance with the law
    InTramCities with Gordon Stewart : http://paddlesteamers.info/Trams/SeriesList.htm

Thanks all. I guess the Clyde boats had a strong following not matched elsewhere by other fleets. They were probably more at the heart of the area. I think the war records of the paddle flotillas were lost when the RN had an office flood at some point. All v odd, confusion of war-and peace-I guess lol

Anyone know about Solent liveries.

Ryde was black hull plus yellow funnel from 37-65
    from 1965 she carried red funnel with electric arrows and blue hull.

Question is did she revert to black hull before withdrawl. Some photos suggest she did at least the final season with black hull/red funnel.
    BUT the 3 were carrying blue hulls well into 1970s if not 80s, so was Ryde an exception or did the MVs go blue-black-blue. Or was Ryde in fact withdraw with lue hull.

V dull I know but looking through Flickr it occured to me that its all over the shot

I'm fairly certain she sailed with minastral blue hull until withdrawal.

All British Rail / Sealink ships continued to have blue hulls The exception was the

Clyde which was transferred to Scottish Bus Group and resumed black hulls for the

1970 season There was nothing wrong with PS Ryde except a certain lack of speed

In the 1969 season I spent a very pleasant day on her on charter for a cruise

Cheers,
    So was there a period when she had red funnel and black hull?
    Just these pics look (to me ) unblue.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...1_scan0155.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11672933@N00/280518327/

Ive only ever seen her as a total wreck Ryde facts/myths/unknowns

No as far as I know she had yellow funnel and black hull until

until 1965 and red funnel with British Rail Logo and blue hull thereafter

If you look at pictures of Clyde Steamers it can be hard to tell if their hulls are

blue or black even in colour ---colour photography was still primitive in those days

hi all and late happy new year. just looking at pics of ryde and sandown. the main difference is in the deckhouse which on sandown was continuous and on ryde has a gap then a smaller structure aft. but when she enetered service ryde hade the full length deckhouse. anyone know when or why the rydes deck shelter was carved in two?

Interesting question that ! I don't know the answer

I believe both Ryde and Sandown got the same treatment and it was definitely before 1954 when the mainmast was fitted

I look forward to the answer
    Last edited by tramscape; 01-10-2017 at 19:48.

Maybe to create space for cars / freight barrows ? The three post-war diesels had freight compartments

I assume the main freight services were with Red Funnel which had better adapted vessels (and Balmoral of course had a car/freight deck)

had it not been for the fact that gangways would have been available on the piers at Ryde and Portsmouth, I would have said that gangway handling would also have been a lot easier with the amended configuration !

Ryde and Sandown would not have conveyed cars as they could not have driven the

length of Ryde Pier I did not know about freight compartments on Brading et al

and I wonder if they were actually used

just to add to the above I imagine that like the Clyde steamers they carried large

amounts of PLA traffic and the baggage room was probably meant for that Certainly

on Waverley in the 1950s large amounts of baggage were dumped in the space between the funnels

Sandown can't have been altered - I've just seen photos of her unaltered and with the Sealink funnel

It almost looks like the deckhouse was removed to gain access to the engine ...... and never replaced

Gillon is right. I have never seen pictures of Ryde with cars on board