PDA

View Full Version : WaviLeaks... documents from my archives (box in the loft)

Old_Seadog
02-22-2013, 12:29
Today Wavileaks features the secret timetable behind the timetable the "sailing instructions" showing such things as fuel bunkering, light sailings, charters, allowing us to glimpse the long hours behind the scenes that the crew actually worked. This battle-worn document stained with genuine pre-rebuild Waverley rust is interesting in that it comes from 1982 during one of her round Britain jaunts.

You can view/ download the pdf file here (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0BGxlUtUvdSMVhrVXpGX1RpUzQ/edit?usp=sharing)

tramscape
02-22-2013, 12:43
Many thanks for posting OS - very interesting

Perhaps you should set up a website so your Waverley story can be documented in a structured way. i am sure it would be appreciated by many

Interesting that the documents cover the years when sailings were made on the Forth and the Tyne. i always wonder about the Forth as a potential market these days

Waverleyfan3
02-22-2013, 13:27
The first visit by Waverley to the Forth resulted in an over booking situation and many were turned away!!! Balmoral did well on cruises from Dundee and the Forth and for the Tall Ships event on the Forth the Glasgow office was snowed under with inquiries and all Balmoral trips were sold out. All good reasons for not going back to the Forth then .. but special events are planned in September 2014 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Forth Road Bridge so, once again, we will hold our breath.

Old_Seadog
02-22-2013, 13:31
Perhaps you should set up a website so your Waverley story can be documented in a structured way. i am sure it would be appreciated by many

Yes, nice idea, some time I'll probably do that sometime, although it's a bit too much like my day-job!

Interesting that the documents cover the years when sailings were made on the Forth and the Tyne. i always wonder about the Forth as a potential market these days

Yes it's been a long time since she ventured to the East Coast might be worth exploring (on her return from Antartica of course).

Here is the full public blue timetable (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0BGxlUtUvdSS0tmN2g4Nzl1Wk0/edit?usp=sharing) mentioned in the sailing instructions above showing how the background fitted in with the foreground so to speak. It's amazing how cut and pasted everything looks, obviously produced just before computers became the standard for DTP.

tramscape
02-22-2013, 13:45
I've got that timetable too, every one after, but not much from before that .....1981 Bristol Channel, 1980 Scotland (advance), 1978 Scotland (looks like its clipped from Waverley Times), 1977 Scotland

Old_Seadog
02-22-2013, 13:45
The first visit by Waverley to the Forth resulted in an over booking situation and many were turned away!!! Yes, I remember that exact day, I was there as a 14 year old passenger and it wasn't even a nice day, it was pissing it down! The Daily Record newspaper of course had a field day with a half page report and interviews with "angry day trippers".

Old_Seadog
02-22-2013, 13:49
1978 Scotland (looks like its clipped from Waverley Times), 1977 Scotland

They were the newspaper style timetables designed by Terry Sylvester to be as large and "eye catching" as possible I think I still have a couple of those somewhere & will try to scan them at some point.

somewhatfoolish
02-22-2013, 20:05
And of course in those days we weren't restricted by the O Neill mantra - you know - "sailings before late Spring Bank Holiday are uneconomic" - of course they are sweetheart - of course they are, but somehow - they weren't while you were still at school!

I wonder what the difference is................
Those in charge didn't have heads that zip up the back?

tramscape
02-22-2013, 20:52
Didn't the Sunday Mail (Record's Sunday edition) front the 1974 campaign?

I remember Sunday mornings as a schoolboy going down to a local paper shop in York which had the Scottish Sundays (not widespread then) to get any information I could (on this and the football, of course). For many weeks they had a centre spread about Waverley and the campaign if I recall

One thing at least i won't criticise the SM for !

Old_Seadog
02-22-2013, 21:22
For many weeks they had a centre spread about Waverley and the campaign if I recall

Yes, indeed they did run a massive appeal. I don't know how much the Sunday Mail raised but it's quite possible that without their help Waverley would not have been ready in 75.

I think I was actually on the first trip in 75 with my dad, that was the trip where she broke a float at Tarbert and we didn't get back to Glasgow till about 1am due to the crew's understandable inexperience with changing floats at the time.

Waverleyfan3
02-22-2013, 21:32

I remember Sunday mornings as a schoolboy going down to a local paper shop in York which had the Scottish Sundays (not widespread then) to get any information I could (on this and the football, of course). For many weeks they had a centre spread about Waverley and the campaign if I recall

Indeed they did, but I think it was after 1975. An ex-journalist colleague who worked for the Mail has told me that his ed was desperate for some sort of campaign and looked out his window and saw the Waverley.
Bingo. Douglas McGowan got closely involved in the campaign, of course, as did theatrical troupers like Glen Daly who recorded his famous (or infamous if you like) Save the Waverley 45 rpm record. The contribution to Waverley of the likes of Douglas McGowan can't be under estimated and puts some of the modern day pretenders to shame. It should also be said that the Daily Record gave Waverley a very hard time and every broken paddle float was included in their "chapter of accidents".

Waverleyfan3
02-22-2013, 21:45
Not to mention "perverts paddler sails on"

People may make mistakes in their lives, the ships can't

I don't think this is a topic I would care to discuss. This could have been the death of the Waverley many moons ago and "The Ship That Died Of Shame" was a prospective banner headline. The fact that Waverley survived this unsavoury sideshow is remarkable and the press believe you me could have gone in for the kill big time given some of the "anonymous" literature that was floating round. 'Nuff said.

DOUG
02-23-2013, 00:23
Yes, you are correct, the Sunday Mail launched a major 2 page colour spread with a banner headline "10 days to save the Waverley"in the winter of 1975/76, a campaign which was supported by several Scottish personalities. One week later, they published another centre spread with the headline "Waverley Saved". Their campaign undoubtedly had a very positive effect at a time when we were teetering on bankruptcy.
Glen Daly released his record Save the Waverley in June 1975. Never quite made the top 10!
The Daily Record and Sunday Mail, although very supportive in the early years, were quite vindictive at times when things didn't quite go to plan.

Waverleyfan3
02-23-2013, 01:48
There may have been some exceptions along the way but I think it could be said that the Scotish Press, as a whole, have been extremely supportive to Waverley... certainly The Herald and Glasgow Evening Times particularly so. Unfortunately newspaper circulations have dipped dramatically (far more so than the number of passengers on Waverley) which makes it all the more imperative that Waverley "marketing" takes a new direction. If WEL can't find someone competent enough to maintain an appealing, concise and informative web site then they might as well find someone who is capable of composing an interesting media release. At the moment they appear to have neither.