PDA

View Full Version : Lets cut WEL some slack....

Honeybadger
02-14-2013, 23:08
Do we not think?

France Fenwick
02-14-2013, 23:10
Would this improve the performance of the Company and its image in the minds of customers/passengers?

somewhatfoolish
02-15-2013, 00:01
If we cut them enough slack will they hang themselves?

Honeybadger
02-15-2013, 00:20
@somewhatfoolish & france fenwich....
I suppose it remains to be seen.
I also suppose they cant please everyone.
Can we mention things they have done well or is it a sinking ship?

Waverleyfan3
02-15-2013, 00:33
Can we mention things they have done well or is it a sinking ship?

I thought you were a regular on Waverley so why don't we have your opinions on what they are currently doing well rather than simply indulging in throw-away lines. What do you think of their marketing, their web site, their brochures, pricing for cruises, food and drink charges, etc etc.

France Fenwick
02-15-2013, 00:37
That would be a good start to set the ball rolling, come on Honeybadger!

Honeybadger
02-15-2013, 00:38
Marketing i dont have a problem with but that does cost money which probably has a budget in itself. Web site...are still awaiting a new one?
Food and drink are simplier to cal mac charges but on a day out we all need to eat dont we. What do u think waverley fan 3?

Waverleyfan3
02-15-2013, 00:52
I know you are new here but the topics listed have been discussed at length. Food and drink are NOT similar to CalMac prices. A large carton of home-made soup and a pie on CalMac will come in at circa £3. A bowl of soup and pie on Waverley will set you back £6.50. Drink prices on Waverley are also way over the top. If you don't have a problem with WEL marketing then it's hardly surprising that Balmoral is no more and that Waverley is existing on hand outs.

France Fenwick
02-15-2013, 01:03
Fair do No 6, whilst in no way denigrating the ship handling of Steve M we do have other skippers who seem to have no problem with the awkward confines of Ayr Harbour. My last two visits which were with IC being great examples.

Honeybadger
02-15-2013, 08:29
Timetables to make public transport conne tions...what do think WEL main concerns are for a berth when making timetables....unless u have the abilty to control heavily bodies now then we cant do much about meeting public transport connections.

Gift aid im sure they fully comply with as its a very stict procedure to achieve.

Diamond Jubillee was im sure was prob due to running costs, fuel, crew.

Registered passenger areas....what areas are we talking about here?

Oban to Fort william by bus i think i remember was due to high winds and poor state of the berth on one accassion....dont know bout others.

That day where Balmoral cancelled whitehaven...you do relise even moderate weather is to bad for the ships to be operating at all.
Dont really know what happened that day.

Waverleyfan3
02-15-2013, 11:52
I would have thought than when planning time-tables one would take account of how potential passengers are going to get to the designated pier/harbour. Some of WEL's favourite places such as Garlieston have no rail links and sparodic bus links so it then follows that custom is going to come from car owners (if they have a map), there is a substantial local population, or a few coach companies have shown interest. Even if one attempts to get to the non-metropolis of Garlieston there is a high risk of the cruise being cancelled due to weather or other circumstances. This sort of nonsense has contributed to the demise of Balmoral. As for Ayr it has good transport links and was once a good market but reliability of Waverley actually docking is shall we say unreliable.

Marisco
02-15-2013, 18:20
Failure to properly comply with Gift Aid requirements for a start - and all for the lack of a few legal notices - but non compliance is non compliance

Care too elaborate No6?

tramscape
02-16-2013, 13:23
On behalf of No6 because this is one of my hobby horses

You will notice that fares include a "voluntary" 10% donation - thus allowing the company to claim a further 25 % if you sign the form

There is no advertised or explained procedure that allows you to pay the "fare" less 10% which is the real actual fare, Try it on the on-line booking system. Ask the fare to pay at the pursers' office. Who would think (or have the confidence) to say the fare should be 10% less ?

Non taxpayers and overseas guests are still paying 10% over the odds "compulsorily". That is not a fair assumption to make that people actually want to donate.

it also makes the headline fares quite expensive - and puts many off who think the fares are on the high side anyway

tramscape
02-16-2013, 16:08
To be fair - I think the forum should know - and maybe the official watchers will take note too

It is not a good policy (suspect, too) and the argument given that everyone else does it this way is not actually true

Bad form -and gives a bad impression of a charity who should know better and feel different about things

I have a mind to demand my 10% next time (I got flustered into forgetting last time). Usually I donate. next time I might just "undonate" or whatever the word might be !

Honeybadger
02-17-2013, 17:18
With regards to what areas? Im sure most know what they are doing dont u think?

Waverleyfan3
02-17-2013, 17:42
With regards to what areas? Im sure most know what they are doing dont u think?

Errr .. what do you think???

tramscape
02-19-2013, 00:27
Only a flying visit south - but already the coach parties lined up .....

http://www.woodstravel.co.uk/day-excursions/Cruise-to-Lulworth-Cove-on-the-Waverley-Paddlesteamer-i1545

Let's cut an inch of slack now ......

Waverleyfan3
02-20-2013, 12:21
Only a flying visit south - but already the coach parties lined up .....

http://www.woodstravel.co.uk/day-excursions/Cruise-to-Lulworth-Cove-on-the-Waverley-Paddlesteamer-i1545

Let's cut an inch of slack now ......

One swallow for the summer.....maybe there are hundreds more!!!

tramscape
02-21-2013, 17:01
In view of the plans that the SVR had for facilities at Bridgenorth, perhaps the Waverley group could use its state subsidy etc etc to take up an option on the Custom House at Greenock - for a visitor centre, offices and storage for WSN and its subsidiaries, space to display the PSPS historical collection, views over CH Quay which would become Waverley's permanent base

A grade 1 attraction, it would help revitalise this building (which I think is empty and they are looking for something to do with it) and perhaps attract other tenants

Nice idea ( I think ) but it will never happen

PS : I might not now be donating to Waverley but I might well donate to a project to develop proper infrastructure like this !

Waverleyfan3
02-21-2013, 19:52
I thought Waverley was supposed to be moving to Yorkhill Quay. The Anderston Quay office is now in splendid isolation.. but maybe that's how they prefer it. They should have lobbied for some sort of accommodation and displays at the new Transport Museum but the Tall Ship has played all the trump cards.

tramscape
02-21-2013, 21:16
Waverley has been beaten as a museum exhibit in Glasgow by Glenlee .......... and Clyde Clippers provide all the local tourist services necessary

Time to move out and make itself a proper home close to the scenery she needs to sail amongst. Greenock is to Glasgow as Bridgnorth is to Birmingham. No bad thing

Swanage would also be a nice place for her

Let the battle to attract her begin !

somewhatfoolish
02-21-2013, 23:54
in keeping - that was revenue positive - and affordable.

If it doesn't meet these criteria, tear it up and think of something else.

Waverleyfan3
02-22-2013, 00:09
Waverley has been beaten as a museum exhibit in Glasgow by Glenlee .......... and Clyde Clippers provide all the local tourist services necessary

Time to move out and make itself a proper home close to the scenery she needs to sail amongst. Greenock is to Glasgow as Bridgnorth is to Birmingham. No bad thing

Swanage would also be a nice place for her

Let the battle to attract her begin !

The battle hasn't even begun so far as Greenock is concerned. I get on there practically every Saturday in the Clyde season and about 50/70 punters is the norm, far below the likes of Helensburgh and Largs. Glasgow still musters around 400/500 on Saturdays and it could be more if a bit more effort was made in what is now a bustling tourist city. If WEL can't do more in promotions on the Clyde, Swanage has a fat chance whether its nice or not. And anyway its not a battle to attract her...the challenge is for WEL to attract greater numbers in the face of ever increasing competition in this thing called a recession.

tramscape
02-22-2013, 00:35
On well,back to Largs, my original suggestion and the amusement hall, but there ought to be some way of making Greenock a successful embarkation point if someone tries properly (including marketing of the good train connections and offer discounted fares on presentation of rail tickets. it can't be that much more of a hassle to get to than the Science centre for many)

The point is, though, a moveable asset such as Waverley should go to the highest bidder - and if it is that good an asset, places should be falling over themselves to offer their resort as a base. As it is Glasgow Council are the ones who have contributed most and therefore get the nod. Rather than go cap in hand as we currently do, let others know what we our ship can offer them. At the moment we do what we do, everyone knows it, so everyone assumes it will always be that way

The Dartmouth people obviously saw an opportunity in KC

After all, surely the Guggenheim people did not prostrate themselves to every city in Europe until they found mugs enough in Bilbao to offer them some god-forsaken derelict site (or did they ??)

somewhatfoolish
02-22-2013, 01:22
After all, surely the Guggenheim people did not prostrate themselves to every city in Europe until they found mugs enough in Bilbao to offer them some god-forsaken derelict site (or did they ??)

The Basque regional government ponied up $200m because Bilbao was a depressed port city with mass unemployment due to the closure of shipyards, steelworks and other heavy industry. Sounds a lot like Inverclyde, because it is; Johnathan Meades pointed out in one of his programmes that the Gug Bilbao is in the middle of a post-industrial wasteland.

Waverleyfan3
02-22-2013, 01:23
The point is, though, a moveable asset such as Waverley should go to the highest bidder - and if it is that good an asset, places should be falling over themselves to offer their resort as a base. As it is Glasgow Council are the ones who have contributed most and therefore get the nod.

Glasgow Council has contributed something like £700,000 to Waverley over the years but let's not forget that it was Glaswegians themselves who steadfastly supported her in the early years and still do up to a point. It is up to WEL to continue to tap this support and to expand it by new measures to attract coach parties and other tourists. The highest bidders at present though must be the Weirs of Largs (by far) so using that criteria Largs must be in the forefront... at least in midweek and, as I now live there, I personally have no complaints about that. I think I saw ONE coach party roll up to Greenock Custom House Quay in 2012, which just about says it all so far as promotions are concerned. The Tall Ships event at Greenock in 2011 was a boost to Waverley business but was another WEL public relations disaster and many of the folk from Rothesay who were on board I have never seen on board again.

tramscape
02-22-2013, 10:47
We're doomed, captain........... I say, we're doomed !

Don't panic ! Don't panic !

Either it is from a scene i remember on telly as a kid - or from the minutes of a shipping operator's board meeting - or even a resume of some of the threads on this board

tramscape
02-22-2013, 13:51
Politicians aboard Waverley for supper last night ? Tweet, tweet !

tramscape
02-25-2013, 12:39
Talking of politicians, these supporters (Smith, Bibby) promoted Waverley at Holyrood, I think, heavily on the basis of her being an ambassador for Scotland

In my view, if she travels south to her supporters and others, she will have little effect in promoting Scotland. Quite the opposite

Less incentive for enthusiasts to go north - and for everyone else, those who might go to Scotland for holidays would have been going anyway

Failed logic. Once again, the precise role of Waverley is not clear

tramscape
03-03-2013, 21:43
Further to the discussion about dogs ............... the restaurant ship MV Cill Airne at Dublin (see my photo taken a couple of weeks ago) states on its website

quote : Please Note: In the interest of health and safety children are not permitted to board the MV Cill Airne

So yes, let's cut WEL another inch of slack !

Honeybadger
03-04-2013, 19:53
Got your fow ticket yet?

tramscape
03-05-2013, 00:26
Me ? No.