PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Seaport Museum

tramscape
01-03-2020, 22:06
I must admit I had never heard of this museum at Mystic, Connecticut, but it seems to be quite an amazing place judging by the website

https://www.mysticseaport.org/

There is a lively facebook page where people do seem to get involved - and this SS Sabino electrification issue is provoking lively debate !

The page has over 62,000 followers, so that can't be bad - and the museum appears to be hosting an exhibiton of nautical scenes by JMW Turner at the moment, so that will most surely be a big draw

Having just read the section about the PSPS Collection in the PSPS Anniversary Book I am reinvigorated again about the "artefacts" element of preservation - and see that the Mystic Museum is well sorted in terms of this - see the "Research" section of their website

I wish we had something like this here ...... I guess we have the Hartlepool Historic Dockyard - but you can't get any boat rides there. Wingfield castle is not in a good shape and would not be able to get further than around the Marina if she could move !

somewhatfoolish
01-06-2020, 06:08
The Castle is a conundrum, the only vaguely economic means of getting her out is by lifting on a pontoon, cutting her into sections and trucking her to a drydock for reassembly, and even that wouldn't be cheap. The other possibility would be on a pontoon but with a wheeled cradle that could be offloaded at the seaward side of the basin and then a temporary ramp created to get her into the briny, but I don't even want to think what that would cost.

tramscape
01-06-2020, 11:06
The Castle is a conundrum, the only vaguely economic means of getting her out is by lifting on a pontoon, cutting her into sections and trucking her to a drydock for reassembly, and even that wouldn't be cheap. The other possibility would be on a pontoon but with a wheeled cradle that could be offloaded at the seaward side of the basin and then a temporary ramp created to get her into the briny, but I don't even want to think what that would cost.

I couldn't envisage any economic use for her anyway ..... so I guess we just have to let events take their course with this one

tramscape
01-06-2020, 20:26
It looks like my area wants to go big on Steam heritage in the railway sector !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-50982373

Of course, we have the National Railway Museum to the south and their Shildon outpost only a very short distance to the north .... then the North York Moors Railway

.... then there a loads of other steam railways around the country with "museums" of varying degrees attached

Maybe the market for Darlington's plan is too crowded

I still feel that the market for steam SHIPS heritage is there, albeit to a lesser degree, and there are not many places trying to capitalise on any opportunity. I know that PSPS would like to change this .... but maybe can't on their own

somewhatfoolish
01-09-2020, 10:59
I couldn't envisage any economic use for her anyway ..... so I guess we just have to let events take their course with this one

It appears likely that she will continue to deteriorate and eventually be broken for scrap.

tramscape
01-09-2020, 11:51
It appears likely that she will continue to deteriorate and eventually be broken for scrap.

Hartlepool Council did spend a lot of money on her years ago - but really it is a blank cheque which is needed and not what the Council have got for such things