PDA

View Full Version : PS Waimarie Is Slipped With Traction Engine Power

George Ted
09-20-2018, 11:06
PS Waimarie Is Slipped With Traction Engine Power Click vid to play

https://www.facebook.com/100009455266322/videos/1718782691780223/

PS Waimarie was side-slipped onto her temporary Kowhai Park rails on Saturday 17th September in front of a large adoring crowd.
This was the first time this vessel had been slipped under the power of two steam traction engines. It was also the first time this particular site had been used as a slipway. The community of Whanganui had easy access to the vintage spectacle and this ensured PS Waimarie was again a focal point ahead of its upcoming season.
This slipway was a year in the making and was the solution to the problem of how to slip the 90 ton flat-bottomed Yarrows & Co steamer.

tramscape
09-20-2018, 11:44
Wow

Essential viewing for our friends at WEL /WSN / PSPS ! Ted - could you share that to the PSPS FB page ?

We have hundreds of traction engines in the UK

That would make a proper spectacle that would attract people, TV cameras..... you name it

This could be done at a suitable place alongside a paddle steamer heritage centre !

Not something which would be adopted, I suspect.

tramscape
09-20-2018, 12:01
I guess the posts will be deleted from the two supporters groups as being off topic .....

I guess also that you can't share to the official PSPS site - only the mods can do that (?)

George Ted
09-20-2018, 12:13
Wow

Essential viewing for our friends at WEL /WSN / PSPS ! Ted - could you share that to the PSPS FB page ?

We have hundreds of traction engines in the UK

That would make a proper spectacle that would attract people, TV cameras..... you name it

This could be done at a suitable place alongside a paddle steamer heritage centre !

Not something which would be adopted, I suspect.

I have put it on some of the facebook pages

fv24
09-20-2018, 13:42
Video was taken two years ago!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DOUG
09-20-2018, 13:59
I have put it on some of the facebook pages

Absolutely fascinating! Especially as it was steam traction engines which provided the power to winch her out of the water. Brilliant piece of video, even if it is 2 years old!

I remember being present on a few occasions watching the Waverley being winched up the slipway at Jas Lamont’s yard at Port Glasgow in the late 60’s, early 70’s. Fascinating to watch but sadly no traction engines!

This is where Maid of the Loch will have a huge advantage having her own slipway on site for her annual survey, thus saving a fortune on paying third party costs.