PDA

View Full Version : New Chairman of WEL

tramscape
11-11-2017, 13:33
Impressive CV - clearly a very successful man with a broad knowledge of the world who presumably has no time for poor performance in the companies he has worked for

https://www.paddlesteamers.org/national/new-waverley-excursions-chairman-announced/

Let's hope he does get down to the nitty-gritty and declares "never again shall we have one-star reviews" !

billsea
11-11-2017, 16:30
How much is WEL paying him i am sure he wont be doing this for nothing.

millfield153a
11-11-2017, 17:43
i am sure he wont be doing this for nothing.
Why? He is Chairman of the Scottish Maritime Museum Trust and they don’t pay their trustees. According to their accounts, the trustees don’t claim expenses either.

tramscape
11-11-2017, 17:47
WEL is not a charity or trust, so he is not a trustee. however, it is likely that he will be a trustee of WSN (like D Kells was)

In 2016, two trustees received remuneration from their work for WEL totalling £ 22000

Not sure why this is allowed - but it is if there are circumstances which mean that their work is essential and not otherwise available

millfield153a
11-11-2017, 18:44
Yes, he is a director of both WSN and WEL. My point was that he has at least shown himself willing to work pro bono.

tramscape
11-11-2017, 19:32
Indeed so - and I would have thought that the exceptional circumstances where WSN trustees received remuneration would not be continued

DOUG
11-11-2017, 20:22
How much is WEL paying him i am sure he wont be doing this for nothing.

Why should that matter? If he makes a positive difference to the operation, then in my book he’s worth it!
Anyway........it is my understanding that this is a voluntary role.

kylemore
11-11-2017, 22:36
Why should that matter? If he makes a positive difference to the operation, then in my book he’s worth it!
Anyway........it is my understanding that this is a voluntary role.

Indeed.

Hopefully this may be one of several changes at the top which will have a positive effect on the operation and indeed the public perception of the Waverley which at the moment may not be as positive as it could be.

tramscape
11-12-2017, 01:04
I don't think that there is scope for further personnel changes - but one potential change I keep hearing whispers about is cultural change .... Public perception should, of course, be top of the in-tray

Marisco
11-12-2017, 08:05
I don't think that there is scope for further personnel changes - but one potential change I keep hearing whispers about is cultural change .... Public perception should, of course, be top of the in-tray

I don't recall what Iain Dewar's background is - I know he is a Londoner but not his working life background. Anyone able to elaborate?

I wonder - are the respective Chairs likely to gel? Dewar doesn't seem to care about public perception!

tramscape
11-12-2017, 13:03
Douglas will no doubt be able to elaborate but I believe he was a senior executive in the railfreight industry latterly

tramscape
11-12-2017, 13:26
I have every confidence in Paul Semple

I'm not sure about the future of PSPS though - but it remains the one way in which people interested in paddle steamers in general can group together. How long that really will be possible in the current format is an interesting question .... especially when the future seems to be the "friends" groups of particular ships

Not sure how long the museum collection can survive in its current format - hence my interest in a heritage centre attached to an operational ship. Medway Queen seems to be making a decent stab at the heritage centre aspect. MoL was hoping to have one ..... but Waverley seems the obvious choice

DOUG
11-12-2017, 16:28
Douglas will no doubt be able to elaborate but I believe he was a senior executive in the railfreight industry latterly

Correct.

There is no doubt the PSPS is at the crossroads and it’s Council of Management, under Iain’s excellent leadership recognised that a couple of years ago. It needs to change (or continue to lose members) as a matter of urgency on a variety of fronts and there has been a fundamental review of its purpose in life, how it can adapt to meet the needs and expectations of existing members as well as recruiting new ones and to develop a better working relationship between PSPS and WEL/WSN.

I too have every confidence in Iain Dewar’s successor, Chairman-elect Paul Semple who has lots of energy, creativity and determination! So watch this space! The fact that Paul is also a Waverley Director can only be positive.

I would encourage any PSPS members reading this, even if they may have been disappointed at the outcome of previous AGM’s, to come along to the next one this coming Saturday at 1.30pm to the Pierhead Building, Cardiff Bay when some of these plans will be discussed and of course you will have an opportunity to contribute to the debate.

stanley37uk
11-13-2017, 11:20
I have no doubt that after the disastrous 2017 season the company had , in the eyes of its bankers , " had to be seen to be taking action " .
He will come with an independent , non enthusiast mindset which is what they need . Having said that I suspect the sailing programme will be " as usual " , possibly minus Ayr and risky Liverpool, and with a longer Bristol Channel if Balmoral is not around .

millfield153a
11-13-2017, 20:03
David Kells had already stayed in the job much longer than he originally intended and I'm quite certain that this appointment has nothing to do with the way the 2017 season turned out. I'd be mildly surprised if in 2018 Waverley spent very much more time in the Bristol Channel than she has in recent years. Maybe an extra couple of days if Liverpool is abandoned, but not much more than that.

Marisco
11-14-2017, 09:56
Correct.

There is no doubt the PSPS is at the crossroads and it’s Council of Management, under Iain’s excellent leadership recognised that a couple of years ago. It needs to change (or continue to lose members) as a matter of urgency on a variety of fronts and there has been a fundamental review of its purpose in life, how it can adapt to meet the needs and expectations of existing members as well as recruiting new ones and to develop a better working relationship between PSPS and WEL/WSN.

I too have every confidence in Iain Dewar’s successor, Chairman-elect Paul Semple who has lots of energy, creativity and determination! So watch this space! The fact that Paul is also a Waverley Director can only be positive.

I would encourage any PSPS members reading this, even if they may have been disappointed at the outcome of previous AGM’s, to come along to the next one this coming Saturday at 1.30pm to the Pierhead Building, Cardiff Bay when some of these plans will be discussed and of course you will have an opportunity to contribute to the debate.

I have reread the fine words of David Kells from last years AGM and that is all they are - fine words. Nothing seemed to change in 2017 - indeed it became worse as a Chief Executive remained in post who seems to not address the issues. I do so hope the new Chair Vic Emery and Paul Semple are able to work more co-operatively and are more focused on customers. Using social media rather than banning it would be a start. As I understood the measures that PSPS introduced to stop on-line criticism were really quite draconian. To be honest - I can't recall or find the actual words of the banning terms but they were not welcoming. Many of the recent AGM's have been a disgrace given the seriousness of the problems. It has been made quite plain that only the opinions of, and discussion by, those in the inner sanctum are regarded as valid.

I do so hope that Messrs Emery & Semple are a new broom but I think I shall view from a distance.

kylemore
11-14-2017, 13:19
I do so hope that Messrs Emery & Semple are a new broom but I think I shall view from a distance.

I don't know Mr Emery but I do know Paul Semple and frankly the Waverley is lucky to have him.

If he is able to influence policy then I have much more confidence in the future.

Marisco
11-14-2017, 15:15

Care to elaborate further about the whispers?

Cultural Change takes time as many know, and unfortunately it has unforeseen effects. However, if the need for cultural change has been identified - and I do wonder what the culture is within WEL - the longer this "cultural change" stays at the whisper stage then the longer it will take to implement.

I doubt "cultural change" will be sufficient - surely substantial policy changes are required surrounding ticketing, cancellations, information, customer care, drunkenness, seating on busy sailings, etc etc. All these issues should have been addressed by the Chief Executive long ago - or she, or the chairs if they wish to be her voice, and they make it clear they are being her representative, should make a statement about why things can't be the way they would like them to be.

Lets hope there are definite policy changes announced at the AGM because without them, "cultural change" should remain on some sort of wishy washy "wish list" or whisper.

tramscape
11-14-2017, 21:12
No, it is really the chat amongst people like ourselves

Bear in mind that many are happy with the programme as it is - and would go for expansion rather than the more negative consolidation view I take

Culture is difficult to change - and some ascribe culture as coming down from the one senior person who is unlikely to be moving at any time soon. Whether the culture can change or not without pressure from further above I don't know, but it ought to be able to, so Paul has influence and the new man at WEL presumably also

Also, as I have said before, strategy is unlikely to change (though the doctor has laid out a treatment programme which is too unpalatable for most to embark on) .... because the bottom line is still remarkably strong - and the "expansive as possible" viewpoint still seems to be the dominant one amongst the ship's owners

For me, replicating this without the problems caused to customers which reflect negatively on the ship, is what is needed, but the company seem incapable of not upsetting customers along the way, and for me this is more important then the romantic old sea dog view of the ship which still prevails. For me it is more akin to a Disneyworld ride. If there had not been so many negative reviews of Waverley I would proably still just been one of those anonymous Waverley lovers looking on from afar

DOUG
11-19-2017, 16:01
Gosh........5 days have gone by and not one posting from anyone on anything!!
Tramscape must be on holiday!
For anyone interested, the PSPS AGM in Cardiff went well with the new Chairman sharing with members several key personal objectives during his tenure as Chairman including........improving customer service at WEL!

Marisco
11-19-2017, 16:16
For anyone interested, the PSPS AGM in Cardiff went well with the new Chairman sharing with members several key personal objectives during his tenure as Chairman including........improving customer service at WEL!

Hurray

billsea
11-19-2017, 16:34
Gosh........5 days have gone by and not one posting from anyone on anything!!
Tramscape must be on holiday!

Thats because the 2 ships this forum only talks about are tied up for winter

tramscape
11-19-2017, 17:59
I'm here !

Just waiting for any interesting news to break ....

Seems like some hopeful news out of Cardiff !

Yes, there doesn't seem like there's a lot of chat about other ships. I of course like Queen Mary and Maid of the Loch and overseas paddlers - and KC which is a bit off my radar, but it seems to be "sorted" for the foreseeable future. Regrettably, other steamships don't really have mass appeal, but if there is anything of interest to say ..... well, let's hear it !

Marisco
11-20-2017, 08:59
I'm here !

Just waiting for any interesting news to break ....

Seems like some hopeful news out of Cardif ..... well, let's hear it !

I was waiting for the adoption of the "Tramscape Model" - well I did see a band last Wednesday called "The Flying Pigs" and they are becoming successful on the Americana Festival circuit.

I guess if she still sails that will be sufficient.

tramscape
11-21-2017, 18:32
Paul ..... in his own words

https://www.paddlesteamers.org/national/paul-semple-meet-the-new-chairman/

tramscape
11-21-2017, 20:16
Oops ! Wrong thread ........ but same team !! (I'm sure we are one organisation in all but name and technical nicety)