PDA

View Full Version : King George V

tramscape
12-05-2016, 12:39
New on the CRSC website - a fascinating and highly enjoyable piece about KGV by Douglas McGowan

http://crsc.org.uk/iona-king-george-v/

Thanks Douglas

Here's my page on KGV with lots of great photos courtesy of Kenny Whyte. I'm envious - I never even saw her (him ?) let alone sail on her !

http://paddlesteamers.info/Turbine%20Steamers/KingGeorgeV.htm

DOUG
12-05-2016, 12:58
Pleased you enjoyed the article Gordon. She certainly was a very fine steamer, sadly missed.

stanley37uk
12-08-2016, 11:10
I had one trip in 1974 and here are a few photos at Oban and IOna , also wintering in Greenock -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/munrobagger237/31462107415/in/photostream

tramscape
12-08-2016, 11:37
Love the one alongside Claymore in particular. Such a contrast to standing in the same place now !

stanley37uk
12-08-2016, 12:21
Showing my age a bit through these photos .........

gillonf
12-13-2016, 16:34
While I yield to no one in my admiration for the KGV it should be pointed out that the apparent

better turnout of this vessel compared with Duchess on Hamilton must have to some effect reflected

the difference between the relatively high fares charged by Macbraynes and the relative under-charging

of the CSP at this time It also surprises me that the article mentions high pressure turbines on the KGV

when she only had these for a short time after construction She had geared turbines whereas the Duchesses

had direct drive

GeoffHamer
12-13-2016, 19:30
Geoffrey Grimshaw's book, written in 1939, describes the fare for the KING GEORGE V's Staffa and Iona trip as "excessive": it cost £1 at a time when a day trip on the ROYAL EAGLE from London cost no more than 11/- (55p). The capacity of the "George" at Oban was a lot less than that of the large Clyde and Thames steamers which could carry 2000 passengers. Her passengers were relatively wealthy if they could afford a holiday in a hotel in Oban, compared with the masses making day trips from Glasgow or London.

Passenger numbers on the trip from Oban increased in the 1950s and '60s, while trade on many other excursion ships declined. Greater prosperity meant more people could afford holidays away from home. At the other end of the country, the SCILLONIAN carried increasing numbers of day trippers as more people spent holidays in Cornwall.

The present-day excursion from Oban to Staffa and Iona via the ferry to Craignure and Fionnphort costs all of £60. It's still a fine excursion but sadly lacking a fine ship.

stanley37uk
12-14-2016, 10:52
When based at Oban did shw do nothing but Fort William / Oban / Iona all week - surely not ?
May have done Corryvreckan as well some days ?

DOUG
12-14-2016, 11:08
Yes, she operated the "six lochs" cruise from Oban, from memory I think she did this once per week. This cruise included the Gulf of Corryvreckan and the whirlpool. The rest of her week was devoted to Fort William/Oban to Staffa and Iona via Tobermory. Landing at Staffa was discontinued in latter years due to a rockfall.

GeoffHamer
12-14-2016, 21:58
I have a 1972 timetable for MacBraynes. The KING GEORGE V did the day cruise from Oban round Mull to Iona on four days a week, passing close to Staffa and calling at Tobermory, leaving at 0900 and getting back at 1800. She went clockwise on Mondays, and the other way on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. On Wednesdays, she went from Fort William at 0845 via Oban to Iona, returning in the evening to Fort William and back to Oban; she did not go round Mull on these trips. The sailing to Fort William on Tuesday evening or early Wednesday morning was a light run. On Fridays, she did two round trips from Oban to Fort William, calling off Appin where passengers were landed by boat, as they were at Iona. The day return from Oban to Iona was then £2.15, but this was increased in June. 1972 was the first year I visited Oban and sailed in the KING GEORGE V.
Until 1969, the KING GEORGE V went to Iona six days a week as there was another ship, latterly the LOCHNEVIS, for the Fort William trips. At that time, before the Ballachulish Bridge was built, the journey between Oban and Fort William was quicker by steamer than by road.

gillonf
12-15-2016, 16:52
Before 1958 the LOCHFYNE was the secondary Oban excursion steamer After that date she was needed

on the Clyde all year round and her place was taken by LOCHNEVIS This ship had become available

when the Portree mail service was downgraded first to LOCHINVAR then LOCH ARKAIG